Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-22-2004, 10:55 PM

Default Re: Thanks for the shoe scam advice.

Did they get that line from the movie Pool Hall Junkies, or did Pool Hall Junkies get it from NO?
Old 04-23-2004, 12:41 AM

Default Re: Harrah\'s New Orleans and the Raddison Hotel in N.O.

The other one I hear occassionally is the "I bet I can jump higher than that house". If you don't get it, do some thinking but surely don't take the bet.
Old 04-23-2004, 03:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
...The best food in town "Ye Old College Inn" off of Carolton. ...I spend most of my time on the Westbank

[/ QUOTE ]

of course. "1979"? just out of school too? would you also recommend the Hummingbird (is it still there?), "Woody Allen's favorite" place in town? (for a TV dinner defrosted with real panache in a "colorful" setting.) I've seen you give this advice before and meant to reply.

As neat as it is to order a grasshopper and a chicken fried steak at the Inn, if you don't want to be surrounded by west bank types and slumming Jesuit High boys, there are dozens if not hundreds of great restaurants in NO, in all price ranges and levels of sophistication. Emerill's is on the high end and is quite good. Arnaud's, almost as expensive, has a little more NO color in the classic main dining room, and they hvae a classic Creole menu. Galatoire's is a favorite with locals. try to sit downstairs (no reservations) in the original dining room (still on the high end). Clancy's uptown is even more locals-only. Gautreau's is a sligtly lesser known but still excellent out of the way choice. all of the above are in the expensive-dinner category (jacket and tie please). On the other end Uglesich's (only open limited hours for weekday lunch) is incredible (get the fried green tomatoes and anything else). elizabeth's in the bywater has fantastic breakfast. for an unfancy simpler dinner you could head out to the lakefront/bucktown area and have seafood--pick almost anyplace (Iforgot the name of my most recent favorite).

don't worry it's hard to go wrong. you'll get great bread almost anywhere (hello, San Francisco? my ass). look for fresh seafood. have some raw oysters, some crawfish.
Old 04-23-2004, 04:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]

As a final note, if you are in New Orleans, and a man offers to bet you that he can guess where you got your shoes, just say "I got them on my feet" and keep walking. That's not a joke it will happen to you at least five times on your trip.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd take the bet. When he says that I "got them on my feet" I'd say, no, I have them on my feet but I got them at the shoestore. Don't suppose I'd collect, though. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]