Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-19-2004, 12:38 PM

Default Re: Cold Calling

[ QUOTE ]
Quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

In 12,119 hands I've made pre-flop cold calls on 40 occasions.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:

My instinct tells me my figures are low in terms of frequency of cold calls.

Umm, yeah... .003% of the time you call. I'd say that's pretty much never.

[/ QUOTE ]

has anyone responded to this yet? this is wrong. the figure would be 0.3%, not 0.003%
Old 03-19-2004, 12:44 PM

Pretty much every hand that I have cold-called with I have also 3-bet or folded depending on the situation. The key is to understand when to do each.

As long as it is not extremely high, the percentage is not really important. It doesn't tell us whether you are cold-calling with the right kinds of hands. If we both cold-call .3% of the time, but mine are with pocket pairs and yours are with unsuited high cards, there is big difference between the two.
Old 03-20-2004, 10:21 AM

I've won 37% of the time I've ColdCalled for 1.11BB/100

I still have alot of losers in here.

My worst hand is QTs that I have CC'd twice out of the CutOff. I guess that's too loose.

TT, 99, and 88 aren't doing to well either which is not too surprising, but, KK and QQ are losing for me also.

So where's the success coming from: AA, AKs, AQs, AJs, ATs, A9s, and KQs are my only CC-overall-winners.
Old 03-20-2004, 10:42 AM

I was playing at the borgata this week and had this hand, the details are a little foggy:

A few limpers to loose passive in early MP who raises.
Cold caller after him, and I have a pair of sixes. Since there was already a few callers and I knew I would have a coupla more, I called. My thinking was this: I knew it would get checked to him on the flop, and if the flop looked at all scary, he would check. The flop came 9 9 4, suits no matter. It got checked around. Turn comes a 6, BINGO!! Well, I took down a huge pot. I guess I was lucky, but, I think it was worth it given the huge pot.

I cold called given the number of callers, and the fact that I could outplay them on the flop and beyond.

Any thoughts?

Dog
Old 03-21-2004, 12:39 AM

Ooops.

Probably why I was an English major.
Old 03-26-2004, 01:50 AM

I'm new but I didn't see you mention anything about WHO (solid, rock, maniac) is raising and what type of hands they would raise in early position with. That can be another thing to look at.
Old 03-26-2004, 02:21 AM

Default Re: Cold Calling (Where in PT?)

Where can I find my CC % in poker tracker?
Old 03-26-2004, 02:28 AM

Default Re: Cold Calling (Where in PT?)

I don't know if there is an number generated, but your total CCs will apear on you gen info screen under CCPF and then you can just divide that by your total hands to get a %.
Old 03-26-2004, 02:30 AM

You can't be serious.

One of the best pieces of advice that I ever received in regard to LLHE, and the one piece of advice that I think is more important than almost any other...
"You shouldn't even REMEMBER the last time you called two bets cold."

It's generally, well, horrible. If your hand isn't good enough to three-bet and isolate, then you should fold it.

You should never be the first player to call two bets cold. Period.

If a number of players have called two cold in front of you, things become more lax...big suited cards, maybe, and maybe middle pairs....but in general it's a good idea just to steer clear of the whole hornet's nest.

I think we've found a major hole in your game...you need to really reduce the amount that you cold-call...

Will

Old 03-26-2004, 04:19 AM

yeah.....i'm looser than most.
some of these observations are just off the top of my head....i am extremely aware that i don't know nearly as much about this goofy game as most of you and i have really enjoyed this thread and am glad it got me thinking about this topic.
i am a winning player however (no matter how dumb i am i always seem to find players dumber than me).

15k hds, 151 CC's (with 8-10 players at table).
i am a winner with my cold-calls...but there are a lot of hands i need to be 3-betting with and i have been doing more of that lately (thanks partly to the original posting of this thread).
66, 88, TT are big winners for me. 55, 77, 99 are losers.
maybe i should just cold-call with even number pairs!!

4 or 5 players come along for 2 bets....i'm on the button with A7s (or even K7s). your thoughts??
what about JTs or even T9s?

i'll play any pair if there are enough pre-flop players....but if i hit my set of 2's i know i have to be careful of a higher set already being out there or possibly coming on the turn or river.

some of these ideas are becoming more and more moot imo as i am seeing fewer and fewer situations where multiple players will come along for 2 bets. those utg raises are more frequently bringing a fold-fest or a re-raise. i guess some of you would think they're probably doing me a favor if they are saving me a cold-call.

a couple months ago i posted a hand in the SS forum where i had 54s on the button and cold-called after 6 of the first 7 players were in for 2 bets.
i took down a huge pot....i think i hit my straight on the river, but it might have been a flush.
a couple of posters had an issue with cold-calling 2-bets with 54s....but most seemed to think i played it well (that's a first).