Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-12-2004, 08:47 AM

Default Re: Best Movies Of 2003

Despite the fact that I had to wait until the credits to figure out who played Seabuscuit, I agree that it was a good movie.

Did someone speak positively of Solaris earlier?

I had high hopes for Stuck on You, but I'm actually just grateful that I found a theater willing to show it.

And I vote Eugene Levy for best supporting actor in A Mighty Wind.

-2kF
Old 01-12-2004, 09:56 PM

Irreversible
Bend It Like Beckham
28 Days Later
Matchstick Men
Capturing the Friedmans
Owning Mahoney
The Magdalene Sisters
Old 01-12-2004, 10:28 PM

Default Owning Mahowny

One of the worst movies I've ever seen, and I'm a big fan of Hoffman & Minnie Driver.

Musta been that it was about gambling. [img]/images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]
Old 01-12-2004, 10:34 PM

Default Bad Santa

Christ, went and seen this last night. Truly dark, profane, and disturbing. "The Kid" was something else.

Pretty damn funny, too. Gonna be a cult classic, no doubt. Gotta love a character called "Mrs Santa's Sister".

Gotta rank it w/BadLieutenant & Gummo for most disturbing film I've seen. Definitely goes on my list, just for audacity alone.
Old 01-13-2004, 05:40 AM

I forgot "Confessions of a Dangerous Mind". Was that 2002 or early 2003? It was brilliant but didn't last long at the box office.

Tonight I saw "School of Rock" and "Seabiscuit". The first was great, everything a feelgood movie should be. I was disappointed by "Seabiscuit", perhaps because my expectations were too high. I found long stretches of it boring -- not enough tension, not enough suspense. I really didn't care if the owner of War Admiral would agree to a match race, sorry.
Old 01-13-2004, 10:05 AM

Excellent call on Confessions of a Dangerous Mind. That movie went way underappreciated. It was from 02, but Sam Rockwell didn't come close to outdoing himself in 03 in Matchstick Men.

-2kF
Old 01-13-2004, 11:44 AM

Default Swimming Pool

Yeah, S Coppola has really proven herself. BTW, Scorsese made a bunch of movies before Mean Streets. I think in general back then you had to guide a bunch of studio projects before anybody would really let you do your own thing. Malick was more the exception than the rule. Those two movies he made before dropping off the radar - Badlands and Days of Heaven - are both really, really good and definitely worth seeing.
Old 01-13-2004, 03:46 PM

Default For anyone interested in filmmakers of the \'70s

EASY RIDERS RAGING BULLS: HOW THE SEX-DRUGS-AND ROCK 'N ROLL GENERATION SAVED HOLLYWOOD
by Peter Biskind (Author)

is a pretty interesting book. Not a whole bunch on filmmaking per se, but lots about the studio process back then, lots of fun gossip, and lots of interesting info on how guys like Scorsese, Altman, Spielberg, Coppola, etc. developed their careers.