Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-07-2004, 10:00 PM

Default Re: An Interesting WSOP scenario...

I think multiple posts in this thread are in the running for worst advice ever posted at 2+2.
Old 01-07-2004, 10:34 PM

Cuz they all suck. That's the only reason someone could fold. Cuz they suck.
Old 01-07-2004, 10:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Especially if I'm sitting at a table with a bunch of unknowns, where there's a good chance I may be one of the best, if not the best player at my table

[/ QUOTE ]

If you're asking whether or not you should call an all-in bet preflop with AA, I'm gonna go out on a limb and guess that maybe you're not the best player at the table...
Old 01-07-2004, 11:24 PM

Default Re: the only time I would ever fold AA in the WSOP preflop....

Is if it was one or two places left to finish in the money and I was a MED. Stack with a bunch of small stacks getting blinded away quickly and forced all in by the chip leader.

I would probably muck there to get into the money and then get aggressive there.

When i say medium stack, I mean I am in no danger whatso ever to be blinded out in the near future. I'll wait for two more people to bust out and collect my $15,000 guarenteed anyway. Even then, I may push in an get the chance to double up on the Big stack and BECOME the big stack with the much better chance of finishing higher.

I just stated the only situation where I MIGHT, muck them.
Old 01-07-2004, 11:43 PM

Default Definitely The Best Post of This Thread n/m

Old 01-07-2004, 11:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Especially if I'm sitting at a table with a bunch of unknowns, where there's a good chance I may be one of the best, if not the best player at my table. In this case, I can be reasonably sure that over the course of a few hours I can accumulate just as many chips through superior play both pre and post flop, without risking my entire stack.

[/ QUOTE ]

Relatively sure of ourselves aren't we? The only person on this site that I would truly believe in this claim is Fossilman, and I'd be shocked if he doesn't make this call heads up also.

Also, do you realize its very difficult to double up your chips over a few hours? You need a table of weak tights or you'll be getting substantial money in a few times over the course of the day with much less of an edge.
Old 01-08-2004, 12:02 AM

Have you played many tournaments? You absolutely must call no matter who your opponents are. This is just a silly question.

Sklansky says that if you are one of the best players you should not risk significant money on close decisions. This is not a close decision. You are at least a 4:1 favorite (except when your opponent also has Aces) and you are getting even money. A gambler would be insane to turn down this bet.

Thank your lucky stars and go all-in.
Old 01-08-2004, 12:12 AM

[ QUOTE ]
The question that needs to be asked: is it worth risking (even as a rather large favorite with aces)getting knocked out of the tournament right then and there to double up your stack this early? Will having $20,000 in chips this early in make you significantly more likely to last 4-5 more days?

[/ QUOTE ]
Yes, it will approximately double your chances of lasting to the last day. Click here for a thread from a few months ago where this was discussed pretty thoroughly.
Old 01-08-2004, 12:38 AM

The only reason to fold here would be if you know you have absolutely no chance what so ever of getting in the money, and you just want to savor the experience of being there for as long as possible. Even then it doesn’t make sense. Okay maybe if you have absolutely no chance what so ever of getting in the money, but to be the first one knocked out would cause you to experience some unimaginable pain.
Old 01-08-2004, 12:55 AM

No matter who is at the table I would make this call. The only way I would not make the call is if I didn't have any money in the pot and the all-in player literally tabled his AA before the action got to me. If you're folding AA here early in a tournament you might as well fold your AK [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] when the board is J [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] Q [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] T [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]. After all, if your opponent is going all in he must have 2 queens and you never know when that fifth Lady will show up.