Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Theory
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-14-2003, 11:28 PM

Default Definitely 65s

Other pocket pairs have fewer ways to improve. JT has some of its straight outs dead, and T9 and 98 lose some of their straight outs because of drawing to the sucker straight.

87s down to 65s have all of their straight outs, but the edge goes to 65s because it takes away a win (the wheel straight) from the A-hand.

As counter-intuitive as it may seem, 65s is the answer.

Cris
Old 12-14-2003, 11:34 PM

Default Re: Definitely 65s

You're forgetting that if you choose pocket pair les than K's, then 4 out of the 10 hands your opponent could have you already have beat and there's need to improve. 65s is the best hand headup all-in vs. AA, but when you factor in the possibility of AKs, it's definitely not.

GoT
Old 12-14-2003, 11:37 PM

Default Re: Question

As far as I can tell, the numbers in bigpooch's post are correct. I thought that would have been the end of the thread.
Old 12-14-2003, 11:39 PM

Default Re: Missing information in question

I think you should be able to figure out that there is a dependency. You're playing with the one deck, after all.
Old 12-14-2003, 11:59 PM

Default Re: Question, Nope think again

Karlson, thought I was clear enough in prior post.
Do you really consider it a win when you and other player
tie 50% of the time with AKs? How many additional chips do you win in that situation? zero. It does not contribute to your winning percentage.
Old 12-15-2003, 12:02 AM

Default You\'re right ... the answer is KK

Hi Guy,

If I have KK, then he's 3:7 to have me dominated (AA) and 4:7 to be dominated (AK). (Normally it's 3:11 that he has AA and 8:11 that it's AK, but my KK takes away half of his AK combinations.) Still, I'm more likely than not to be a favorite, and when I am, I'm a dominant favorite.

With other pocket pairs I'm only a coin-flip favorite. Of the other pocket pairs, the best (for me) are QQ, JJ, TT, and 66. The painted pairs take some of his straight outs, and neither QQ nor JJ can be beaten by the board hitting for two overpairs. 66 denies him the wheel straight. The lower pairs (55, 44, 33, 22) take away some of his straight outs but are susceptible to being beaten by two overpairs on board. The middle pairs (99-77) take away none of his straight outs, so I'd rate them the weakest.

If I knew he had AA, then 65s would be the correct answer. Because he may have either AA or AK, and AK is more likely, I'd prefer to have KK.

Cris
Old 12-15-2003, 12:17 AM

Default Re: You\'re right ... the answer is KK

Um....

No.

If I have KK, then he's 3:7 to have me dominated (AA) and 4:7 to be dominated (AK).

No. If you have KK, then there's 2 combo's AKs he could have, and 6 combo's of AA. So you'll be dominated 75% of the time, and have him dominated 25%. Not sure where you got your numbers, and I'm a bit surprised...

(Normally it's 3:11 that he has AA and 8:11 that it's AK, but my KK takes away half of his AK combinations.)

Okay, I'm no longer surprised. Not sure where you got these numbers neither, since if your hand contains no K or A, then there's 4 AKs combo's and 6 AA combos, which makes 10, not 11. Why do you keep thinking it's more likely that he has AKs instead of AA???

Okay, so if you have KK, then you have ~.2 equity 75% of the time, and ~.7 equity 25% of the time. Note that both of those numbers are just quick mental estimates and definitely not dead on, but given those numbers, your overall equity would be ~.32, which isn't as good as TT which would (again, according to my rough mental calc's) be ~.33.

GoT
Old 12-15-2003, 12:26 AM

Default Re: You\'re right ... the answer is KK

Hi Guy,

If I have KK, there are 8 ways my opponent could have AK (any of 4 As, either of 2 Ks). Normally there are 16 possible ways he could have AK (any of 4 As, any of 4 Ks). There are only 6 ways he can have AA.

So even if you have KK, he's more likely to have AK than AA.

Cris
Old 12-15-2003, 12:43 AM

Default Oops ... David specified AKs.

Not that I think the suitedness of AK is relevant, but it was stated in the problem that it was either AA or AK ... so ... yes, holding KK makes it 3:1 that he has AA.

Regardless, you're more likely facing AA than AKs (by 3:2) so I'd rather have the hand that plays best against AA: 65s.

Cris
Old 12-15-2003, 12:52 AM

Default Re: Question

I was thinking the same thing.