Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-29-2003, 02:32 PM

Default Re: Strangely played set

[ QUOTE ]
hi Jackass I've never played $15/$30 at Party Poker.

[/ QUOTE ]

Whoa, who hacked into nice guy Homer's account? [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 10-29-2003, 02:35 PM

Very good points throughout.
Old 10-29-2003, 02:39 PM

definitely cap there.
Old 10-29-2003, 02:40 PM

It is interesting that you sometimes post hands with mistakes that you know you made and know how to correct. How come?

I'm usually confused during the play of these hands, which means I wasn't prepared in advance for the situation. After I post the hand and have some time to think about it, I am usually able to come up with the best way to play it. However, I'm not always sure that I'm correct, so I like to get feedback from others. Maybe they'll see things from a slightly different angle, and can point out something I couldn't notice on my own. Maybe they can provide me with a rule of thumb so that when I encounter a similar situation in the future I'll know how to handle it.

For example, in this hand, I'm still not completely confident in the reasons why betting out to build a pot is better than check-raising. I'm gathering that I'm losing out on too much EV on the flop by not building the pot, EV that can't be made up for by check-raising the flop in order to increase my chances of taking down the pot. I want someone to discuss the merits of betting out versus the merits of check-raising, and how various factors affect the decision (pot size, number of opponents, position relative to PFR, board texture, etc). Additionally, I'm hoping to get some words of wisdom on how not to freeze up on the river when someone unexpectedly bets/raises.

Maybe I should just post a bunch of hands and see if people think they are as boring as I think they would be. Maybe there's something I could learn from it.

You'd be surprised. Recently I posted a hand in which I limped from LP with Kxs after 4 limpers. I was interested in evaluation of my postflop play, but most of the comments were regarding the preflop limp. A discussion of when to play Kxs ensued, and I'm quite sure that many new posters learned something new. So, even if you don't learn something from posting a hand, someone else might.

-- Homer
Old 10-29-2003, 02:43 PM

Ulysses/JR, excellent points. I'm taking notes...

-- Homer
Old 10-29-2003, 02:46 PM

Whoa, who hacked into nice guy Homer's account?

All part of my plan to stop being so damn weak-tight. It's gotta start with the attitude!

-- Homer
Old 10-29-2003, 02:50 PM

Balls are highly overrated when it comes to success factors at limit poker.

For some reason this reminds me, I was reading one of limon's essays on the NL/PL forum, and in one of the responses Rick Nebiolo stated that the Bike is running max buy-in NL games (something like 2/3 blinds with $100 or $200 max buy-in). I was thinking that it sounded damn good, then I read limon's response, which was something along the lines of -- that's not real NL, that's for all the weak-tight limit players who want to give NL a try.

It's funny because it's true.

-- Homer
Old 10-29-2003, 03:31 PM

On the flop, I should have bet out, hoping to be raised so that I could three-bet. I was attempting to checkraise the button to shut out the draws. I'm sure there are times when doing this is correct, why isn't this one of them?

I think either choice is OK. Which one is better is a function of how aggressive the preflop raiser is. If you knew the preflop raiser would raise your flop bet, then of course betting and 3-betting is better. Most opponents aren't going to raise overcards if you bet and a couple of people call in between though. Heck, some won't even raise an overpair. If you aren't very likely to get raised on the flop, then I think going for the check raise is better since he'll bet the flop almost every time.

In other words, I think check raising to give your hand some protection while still building a pot is good, and so is betting and 3-betting to build a very big pot. You just want to avoid the middle road, betting and not getting raised, which accomplished neither.

I agree with your river analysis, except for the part about you sucking.

Old 10-29-2003, 03:44 PM

Pre-flop semicoldcall is fine.

On the flop I assume you were going for the checkraise with the LP PFR and missed. Doh!

On the turn I'd probably bet to see if the straight is there and called a raise, but you might get more money in pot this way, although I would hate to see it checked around again.

On the river, I think you should go ahead and cap it. 88 is unlikely, 86, 87, or 77 would nearly always bet the flop so you are most likely best and I doubt MP1 is going anywhere.