Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-29-2003, 06:58 PM

Default Re: 50-100 Stop and Go

Why checkraise, and possibly lose a heavy underdog hand that may call my river bet? By checking here, I'm saying, 'I don't like that ace' and it gives a player with an underpair initiative to try and bet at the scarecard. I also SAVE money against an AK or AQ by playing it this way as I would likely get reraise if I checkraised. There's so much more to poker than just going, "I have a strong hand, I bet, I raise." You want to try and squeeze the most you have out your opposition even if it means playing a hand in a passive manner.

PokerPrince
Old 10-30-2003, 09:58 AM

OK, we can agree that the moment you check and he bets on the turn, you are hoping to get more money in the pot somehow. You think the best way is to call, and then hope to get one more bet on the river. That's realistic, and it worked in your case. I still think check-raising is better. If he's drawing to something, isn't he more likely to call your raise on the turn rather than a bet on the river after he hasn't made his hand? Also, check-raising gives some chance (small) that you'll get two additional bets--one when he calls the checkraise and one when he calls your bet on the river. In summary, I agree with your critisim of my post that you might lose him on the turn with a check-raise, but who's to say he isn't going to fold to your river bet?
Old 10-29-2003, 03:06 PM

I believe this is the right way to play the hand. You could also just call before the flop and CR the flop. As far as the turn and river go, the only reason not to play it like this is to avoid predictability.
Old 10-29-2003, 07:07 PM

On the contrary, I found my play to be rather unpredictable.

PokerPrince
Old 10-29-2003, 07:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
On the contrary, I found my play to be rather unpredictable.

[/ QUOTE ]
I didn't mean to imply that it was. I just think that the way you played the the turn and the river should be the default play.