Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-22-2003, 03:37 PM

Default Two things

1) I was 99% sure that was the case, but I figured that some of the newer folks around here might misunderstand your response.

2) ::: sniggle :::

from m-w.com
Main Entry: snig·gle
Pronunciation: 'sni-g&l
Function: verb
Inflected Form(s): snig·gled; snig·gling /-g(&-)li[ng]/
Etymology: English dialect snig small eel, from Middle English snygge
Date: 1653
intransitive senses : to fish for eels by thrusting a baited hook or needle into their hiding places
transitive senses : to catch (an eel) by sniggling
Old 10-22-2003, 03:55 PM

Default Re: A hand

If think calling w/ 6-4s is "somewhat" debatable, how is it that you can draw such a bold line between it and the "automatic" 54s. Calling w/ 54s in this spot is not any better(and I think that the secret squirrels below who are being so esoteric in their responses would agree)--and this goes to prove my point about "relative tightness." You think that one of these hands is debatable, many of the Canterbury faithful think them both imminently playable. You are, therefore a tight player compared to them--but this relative tightness, such as it is, won't make a very big difference in your results from theirs. If you continue to play these hands w/out position or proper odds you are adding neg. EV to your long-term results. Whether or not you able to compensate for this in other ways is beside the point, you are giving away money by playing this hand, to someone, even if only the house.

As to your objection of the play of the hand--checkraising the turn is only (semi)disasterous if: UTG folds when he would have hit a rivercard and that's if he takes another one off, otherwise you collect the second bet on the turn from EP and one on the river. Three bets from EP rather than two from each(in the most likely scenario).

If you're so concerned about missing so many bets, why risk checking the turn. You know, an "EP" w/ AA here could check, knowing that he is either way ahead or drawing dead and that a free river might induce a bluff or help one of you make a second-best hand.

As to the overall quality of play at Canterbury--I've been there several times. I know many of the locals from the frequent visitors and the tourney visitors. I can read a lineup--certainly the relative tightness/looseness, particularly given several hours, much less any greater period of time(and also in less). A friend of mine says that "Canterbury is the only place where the tourists are better than the locals." He is somewhat prone to exaggeration but I think he makes a valid point.

Again, I don't mean to be insulting, but if the purpose of this forum is to share info and educate, then I will do so to the best of my ability when I choose to participate, I expect others to do the same.

Mike