Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-05-2003, 10:35 PM

Default Re: Turned Set, Raised on the River

Yep. That was exactly my thinking. A case of his deception not earning him as much as it cost him (in the long run).
So I still 3-bet in this spot the next time...
------------------

OK thanks for all the feedback guys.
It's very much appreciated.
Old 08-05-2003, 10:37 PM

Default Re: I liked the way the button played it.

"The button won, but I don't like his play."

It's +EV if you have 15 outs and there is a small chance (5% or so) your opponent will fold. So you have to know your opponent to make this play. It's a bad play here.
Old 08-05-2003, 10:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If people are going to routinely play this way against me I don't think I'm going to learn either.
I simply run into too many maniacs "trying to knock me off hands".

[/ QUOTE ]

Be careful classifying this play as the play of a maniac. The turn play could mean you are up against a very good player. Likely he is a decent player, trying to be a good player and misusing this play.

[ QUOTE ]
he probably knew enough to know I'm *reasonably* tight-solid (well that's what I like to think ).

[/ QUOTE ]

I think I've played against you on Party Poker. If he's a good player, it shouldn't take him long to figure out you are a solid player.
Old 08-05-2003, 11:07 PM

Be careful classifying this play as the play of a maniac.
Accepted Ace. In fact I didn't (and don't) consider him to be a maniac, which is why I almost like the play, if it wasn't plain -EV in that spot.
I had a guy an hour ago bet and 3-bet into my turned nut straight, and bet and 3-bet the paired river. He had paired the lowest card on the board on the flop (he didn't have trips) and had about a zillion to one chance of beating me.
These are the players I love to run into when I'm making hands I can take to the river.

I think I've played against you on Party Poker
Y'Know I've never taken to Party. Barring once I've never sat at a great table (<=3/6).
I also have this really weird thing were if I'm not completely used to the software I can't play my usual game. It's like I can't filter everything else out and concentrate on the cards and the players, and often am not sure what to do.
Am I the only one who gets like that on unfamiliar sites?
Old 08-05-2003, 11:21 PM

"Am I the only one who gets like that on unfamiliar sites?"

Someone has a nick like Shaft99 or something on Party. Thought it might be you.

I got pounded when I first started playing Party. The games were really good, but suckouts killed me. I was short bank rolled, so that was my biggest problem. Are you sure you aren't playing too high for your bankroll when you start at a site? A couple tough beats can be brutal if you only have a 100BB or less.

Party games are usually pretty soft in the evening, EDT.
Old 08-06-2003, 12:45 AM

Someone has a nick like Shaft99 or something on Party. Thought it might be you.
Nope. This exact Nick everywhere I play really. Which is mainly on UB in recent weeks.

Are you sure you aren't playing too high for your bankroll when you start at a site?
Not at all. In fact until recently I've underplayed my 'roll if anything.

It's not do with any of those things you mentioned, suckouts, tougness of the table, diff players, etc.
When I played a lot of Quake 2 and tried different (but similar) games everything felt wrong, and I just didn't feel, I don't know, "at one" with the game. It's like that. I just don't feel comfortable. Weird to explain, and maybe unique to me.

For a start if the software isn't super clean I find it hard to see the wood for the trees. UB and Paradise are the only software where you don't seem to be distracted by too much going on graphically.
I guess I'm just weird like that.
Old 08-06-2003, 04:36 AM

hi john
i hear you're a bad mother (mouth shut here john). ok, what to do in your dire predicament; raise for crying out loud john, raise! he's got 99. this is clearly set over set, and let me double check here.....nope, there ain't a higher card on the 'green top' as you say in england. you have the 'knitties'. put some 'oats' up topside and 'skippy thump'. 'wobble it about a bit'. 'superfly'....oh ok, superfly isn't british, it is '70's though.