Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-10-2005, 06:22 PM

Default Re: My landlord wants to increase our rent at the end of our lease...

[ QUOTE ]
3) No way would I allow him to begin shutting off the living room during the summer, while you remain a lawful tenant. He only has the right to make necessary repairs, and to show the place to potential tenants if you will be moving. Otherwise, you have the right to full, quiet enjoyment of the entire apartment for as long as you are a lawful tenant.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 12-10-2005, 06:34 PM

I really dont understand your dilema. Its either worth 900 to you or it isnt. Regarding the extra room if you dont want it no reason to let him install it before you leave.
Old 12-10-2005, 06:38 PM

Your landlord probably doesn't know what he's doing. Either he seriously underpriced the place when he first rented it to you, or he's trying to charge you above market rate. A 50% increase is ridiculous.

Probably what happened is, he's figuring on an X% income from his property. The property value went up, like everything has everywhere, so he thinks he should get a higher rent payment. This is not how it's supposed to work. Supply and demand works in the rental market. He's not guaranteed to get any return. In fact, property prices are so much higher than rents in some areas that the market value of rent won't cover mortgage, tax, and maintenance. Because of this, you're actually in a great bargaining position.

Seriously, though, I would want to move, because it sounds like he has no idea what he's doing. It's only like one weekend of work, and you'll save yourself a lot of money and grief.
Old 12-10-2005, 06:41 PM

My dilemma is do I want to pay the same amount of rent for a smaller apartment without him fixing anything else.

He really doesn't have any idea what he's doing. Like I said, this is only his second rental property. I mean, he is a nice guy, and we sat around and talked when he closed the place. Just seems like a dolt. I might just tell him what I think and see how he takes it.
Old 12-10-2005, 08:45 PM

if you two are renting the whole apt. then he has no authority to close anything off to you. or even enter without notice and a good reason. and that may not be to show it to others unless that is in the lease.

you dont have to do anything until your lease is up and then decide. if yoou want out early you need his approval.
no rent increase until lease ends. but read your lease that will tell what happens.
Old 12-11-2005, 01:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
if you two are renting the whole apt. then he has no authority to close anything off to you. or even enter without notice and a good reason. and that may not be to show it to others unless that is in the lease.

you don't have to do anything until your lease is up and then decide. if you want out early you need his approval.
no rent increase until lease ends. but read your lease that will tell what happens.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd like to clarify that although Ray's advice is generally correct in all states & municipalities, you must check your lease & regional laws to make sure.

PS: My rent just went up 24%, moving out on the 1st [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img] 3.k/month is getting silly.

TT [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
Old 12-11-2005, 02:28 PM

Wow, you guys have given me a lot of valuable advice.

Basically, I'm just going to tell him as of now we're moving out and not signing a super huge lease. Then I'm going to say if he decides to fix a lot of other stuff along with adding a room we can talk.

Good idea?
Old 12-11-2005, 03:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Wow, you guys have given me a lot of valuable advice.

Basically, I'm just going to tell him as of now we're moving out and not signing a super huge lease. Then I'm going to say if he decides to fix a lot of other stuff along with adding a room we can talk.

Good idea?

[/ QUOTE ]

Why would you tell him you are moving out, just say "I don't know", Man it's pretty simple really, say ok I don't want you to reno now it's inconvenient, also i'm not sure about what i want to do with the lease, then say buddy come back 2 mths before it runs out and we'll discuss it. Or alternatively if you would like the renovations you can sign some auxilary contract to allow him to complete that work, however i'd be careful because I would guess any substantial renovations to the house may be enough to void the original contract, so you may need to devise an entirely new contract to be signed which basically says the auxilary contract comes into effect for the duration of the renovations following which the old contract is enforcable on the "new" building. However you don't really need to sign papers for all this cause like verbal contracts ARE enforcable contracts as well, but if you think the guy is possible to screw you best to be safe.

Anyway, why can't you just talk to the guy about this, you seem pretty retarted actually.
Old 12-11-2005, 03:05 PM

Sorry i posted the last bit because of p****, but come on seriusly how do you move out and get a place and sign numerous other contracts through out your life and not just get an inkling of how they work. This stuff just seems like commonsense....
Old 12-10-2005, 10:43 PM

Maybe it's just me, but I don't see how raising the rent 50% without significantly increasing the square footage, or otherwise drastically improving the property, is anything short of attempted robbery. Since I don't see him completing an addition in one week, I am assuming he intends only to renovate the existing space to change the use of one room. If that's the case, tell him to go [censored] himself.

Scott