Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-29-2005, 11:42 PM

Default Re: Dre Bly says...

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Millen is very well know for making speeches in the locker room and getting on guys that aren't playing up to his standards. A couple years ago he went so far as to call a player a 'coward' in front of the team.

I don't know where you guys get that he isn't directly involved with the team.

[/ QUOTE ]
PG,
I remember that too. I don't believe it ever got out who he singled out but I remember from their play the previous game that it seemed like it was somewhat obvious. Do you remember who that was?

[/ QUOTE ]

The coward statement was after the OT Loss to Chicago were Morningweig won the coin toss in OT and elected to kick off.

IIRC, James Stewart was the coward.
Old 11-30-2005, 12:40 AM

I was under the impression that he was calling Johnnie Morton a coward, but I could be wrong. I know Morton was very pumped and talking trash when the Chiefs played the Lions after he switched teams.
Old 11-30-2005, 01:05 AM

TO gets suspended for saying stuff like this, actually this is worse, will Bly get suspend? Doubtful... but he should
Old 11-30-2005, 02:14 AM

[ QUOTE ]
He took over a 49ers team that already had plenty of talent and rode along with them into the ground.

[/ QUOTE ]

Do you even watch football? In the final two years in SF, Mooch went 12-4 and 10-6. He was let go after a tough playoff loss, basically because of poor relations w/ the team's front office. Since then SF went 7-9, 2-14 and they are 2-9 this year so far.

How can you say he ran that team he took over into the ground? Don't bother with that T.O. nonsense, that dude can't get along with anyone.

[ QUOTE ]
With the exact same players a guy like Jeff Fisher, Tom Coughlin or hell even Dennis Green would have that team at .500 at least...

[/ QUOTE ]

WTF are you talking about? Tennessee and Arizona are both 3-8 this year, and neither one has beat a team with a winning record. NYG is 7-4, but only two of those wins come against teams with winning records. You can't say any of those guys are more qualified to run a team of unmotivated misfits than Mariucci is.

[ QUOTE ]
...let alone not getting pwned at home on national tv and committing 20 penalties in a single game.

[/ QUOTE ]

So you judge his whole coaching tenure on the performance of one game? The Giants, Cardinals, and Titans have all been penalized more than the Lions this year.

Take some time to learn the facts before you open your mouth again.

Later

PG
Old 11-30-2005, 02:15 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Millen is very well know for making speeches in the locker room and getting on guys that aren't playing up to his standards. A couple years ago he went so far as to call a player a 'coward' in front of the team.

I don't know where you guys get that he isn't directly involved with the team.

[/ QUOTE ]
PG,
I remember that too. I don't believe it ever got out who he singled out but I remember from their play the previous game that it seemed like it was somewhat obvious. Do you remember who that was?

[/ QUOTE ]

I never heard, but another poster says it was James Stewart. That wouldn't surprise me, given the circumstances at the time.
Old 11-30-2005, 05:39 AM

sweet. im glad you made this post so i didnt have to.
Old 11-30-2005, 08:04 AM

As was discussed in this thread The biggest problem I think the lions have had is they have been drafting for the fans and not the team. It's great when you make five first round picks in four years and draft a QB, RB, WR, WR, WR. Of course when you never use any of those picks on a good offensive lineman it makes your offense run really poorly.

Bly has played very well for most of the year when he has been healthy and has even returned despite being 100%. You have to imagine he is pretty frustrated at this point. That team on Thanksgiving though was purely awful. I could see the franchise being very embarrassed and feeling like they had to make a move.

I'm not even talking about the penalties. I turned the game off when (well went and started picking on some food before dinner) when Alge Crumpler made a catch just before the first down marker, with his back to the line he was held up by a Lion. Then a lineman comes up. Does he try and strip the ball and make a play? Nope, he decides to lower his head and drive Crumpler over the first down marker. WTF?
Old 11-30-2005, 11:13 AM

[ QUOTE ]
As was discussed in this thread The biggest problem I think the lions have had is they have been drafting for the fans and not the team. It's great when you make five first round picks in four years and draft a QB, RB, WR, WR, WR. Of course when you never use any of those picks on a good offensive lineman it makes your offense run really poorly.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thats pretty much it. The problem is, the Lions always have so many needs come draft time that they need to select the best player at their most needing position at the time.

Case in point:

The Lions draft Harrington to fill a long term need. Everyone needs a quarterback. One with their head on straight and a great attitude isn't always available. Although I thought he was overrated in college, you can't fault the pick. If you think about it, he still has a chance to succeed, maybe not with the Lions though.

Then the Lions draft Rogers. At the time the Lions leading receiver was who? Bill Schroeder. Az Hakim had one more catch. Neither one of them had over 600 yds receiving.

Rogers had great talent and potential, but he is a total dummy though. He had a 2 Yr old and a 2 month old child when he graduated HS.

Rogers misses most of '03 w/ a broken collarbone. So the Lions are faced with another decision on draft day. Roy Williams was a stud at Texas and would compliment Rogers nicely.

In '03 the Lions leading rusher was Shawn Bryson (606 yds on 158 carries) and as a team rushed for only 1338 yds the whole season, worst in the NFL. Getting Kevin Jones late in the first round was a wise move. You can't fault that decision.

In '04 Rogers is injured again and misses most of the season. With his future not looking so bright as it once did, the Lions took Mike Williams with the 10th pick.

As I said in another thread, Williams will be solid but doesn't really have the speed to be a superstar. To use the 10th pick in the draft on a non-impact player is a poor decision. I still think they should have traded down for more picks or used the pick to take Derrick Johnson out of Texas (who ended up going 15th in the draft).

It's obvious their O-line has been thier biggest weakness this year. Improving that will immediately improve the effectiveness of the running game and will improve quarterback play as well. They did pick up Damien Woody in free agency last off-season, but it's pretty obvious that much more effort is needed.

PG
Old 11-30-2005, 12:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
One with their head on straight and a great attitude isn't always available. Although I thought he was overrated in college

[/ QUOTE ]

Harrington and Tim Couch are similar in a lot of ways- over rated in college, but have tremedous work ethics and dedication. Both thrown into a high pressure situation with no OL, a few injuries and no playoffs later and fans are blaming them for the results of the whole team.
Old 11-30-2005, 12:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
One with their head on straight and a great attitude isn't always available. Although I thought he was overrated in college

[/ QUOTE ]

Harrington and Tim Couch are similar in a lot of ways- over rated in college, but have tremedous work ethics and dedication. Both thrown into a high pressure situation with no OL, a few injuries and no playoffs later and fans are blaming them for the results of the whole team.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's a good thing they have millions of dollars to cushion the blow to their egos...