Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-24-2005, 04:41 PM

Default Re: Should I wear sunglasses and baseball cap to a major tournament?

[ QUOTE ]
If I win an entry to a major tournament, should I wear sunglasses and a baseball cap? How about to a $500 tournament? Would that be/appear silly?

[/ QUOTE ]

If you win an entry into a major tourney and you haven't played one before, you should do what will make you most comfortable. Changing your sartorial approach at the last minute probably won't help your game that much but it can put you out of your comfort zone, and that can be disasterous. I've misread a T4 in the hole as an A4, with predictably bad results, because my sunglasses had too much tint.

Nonetheless, when I play home games I generally wear glasses, and a hat of some variety and I've been known to fire up my CD player. I always bring all three. I also don't spend a second thinking about what people think of my clothes beyond how it would affect my image. I'm certainly not concerned with looking "silly". There's just so many other things to think about- why waste extra energy on your look?

-D.
Old 11-24-2005, 05:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If I win an entry to a major tournament, should I wear sunglasses and a baseball cap? How about to a $500 tournament? Would that be/appear silly?

[/ QUOTE ]

Not as silly as a giant elmo head.
Old 11-28-2005, 07:31 PM

I wear baseball style caps (my Canterbury purple and gold) at live events. I was in the Wynn $540 last Friday. I saw other cap wearers. Fewer sunglasses though.

For me, the benefit of caps is I don't have much hair and many rooms are a tad chilly.
Old 11-28-2005, 07:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]

I'd recommend you simply wear a hat, put the glasses on the hat, and use them if you want to.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think this is about right. I've tried the sunglasses thing in a live game I play in and I found it to be helpful against players who intimidate me and bad against players that I intimidate. Basically, wear them when you want people to know you're staring them down and don't when you don't want them to know. Ie., put them on after pushing or if you're a big stack against another big stack, but I think it's +EV to openly stare at a short stack when you're involved in a pot with them as big stack.