Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-23-2005, 02:34 PM

Default Re: Hand from \'How Good is your Limit Hold\'em\'

First of all, fold PF.

Also, this is a clear check-raise situation. Your hand has huge equity (excepting a bigger Q, or an unlikely 44), you have a PF raiser immediately behind you, a huge field behind him you can trap, and your hand is unprotecatble (flush draws are correct to call even if you bet, and BB raises).

If you bet out here, and BB raises, most of the field will fold. This is bad for you. Again, excepting a bigger Q or 44, everyone else will have very few outs. Overcards/face cards (AK, AJo, KTs etc) are drawing pretty much dead, pairs are drawing to 2 outs, only flushes are a threat, drawing to 8 outs, plus you have some outs against those even if they hit). You have big equity, build as big a pot as you can.

If you didn't have a PF raiser to your immediate left, you should probably bet out, not to protect your hand, but for value: we fear that the hand will be checked through. This is especially true if the opponents are passive.
Old 11-23-2005, 02:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
First, I hate calling pre-flop in the SB with Q6o, even for half a bet. I definitely fold when it is raised back to me.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is the part I was wondering about. I fold this all the time as well, bad move?

[/ QUOTE ]
sarcasmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm
Old 11-23-2005, 02:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I disagreed with the answer to this question and the reasoning behind it given. I'm interested to find out if it's just me. In general this book is very good IMO.

Players are generally loose. BB appears to only take notice of his own cards.

Hero has Q6o in SB.

4 limps, Hero calls, BB raises, 4 calls, Hero calls
(the author recommends folding to the raise, but continues the hand with Hero calling).

6 to the flop of Qh Qc 4h (12sb)

Question is, does Hero go for the check/raise, or bet - and why?

[/ QUOTE ]

So what does the book say?
Old 11-23-2005, 02:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Also, this is a clear check-raise situation. Your hand has huge equity (excepting a bigger Q, or an unlikely 44), you have a PF raiser immediately behind you, a huge field behind him you can trap, and your hand is unprotecatble (flush draws are correct to call even if you bet, and BB raises).
You have big equity, build as big a pot as you can.

If you didn't have a PF raiser to your immediate left, you should probably bet out, not to protect your hand, but for value: we fear that the hand will be checked through. This is especially true if the opponents are passive.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, this is why I'm going to reread SSHE about 5 times before I attempt to play again... I guess I'm timid as I've been in plenty of situations where my kicker kills me in this spot. Results based thinking is not very smart.
Old 11-23-2005, 03:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Check-grab beer-raise
Check-raise-grab beer

Now that is a tough call right there.

[/ QUOTE ]
check / raise / grab beer is clearly correct. If were are to trip and fall and break our face open and die on the way to the fridge, we will time out after having extracted value on the flop.
Old 11-23-2005, 03:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
this is why I'm going to reread SSHE about 5 times before I attempt to play again...

[/ QUOTE ]
I'm not sure why, but it kind of bothers me when people make this sort of comment. If you're not beating the game, table experience is soo much more important than just re-reading SSHE over and over. You don't read a math text book without doing homework assignments right?
Old 11-23-2005, 03:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
this is why I'm going to reread SSHE about 5 times before I attempt to play again...

[/ QUOTE ]
I'm not sure why, but it kind of bothers me when people make this sort of comment. If you're not beating the game, table experience is soo much more important than just re-reading SSHE over and over. You don't read a math text book without doing homework assignments right?

[/ QUOTE ]

I was half-kidding, sorry if my statement "bothered" you as that was not my intention. I was just stating that I have a lot to learn, which is why I'm here. If I were good enough to beat the game and play at a high level, I wouldn't feel as great a need to post on this forum, but still would. I should have been more clear, I was agreeing with Fluff and implying that I need a lot of work with analyzing post flop play, as well as overall play for that matter, and a good reread of some texts couldn't hurt. I was merely hyperbolizing for the sake of humor. I'd have been better off simply saying "I agree and I was way off in my original post" I suppose.
Old 11-23-2005, 03:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Sorry if that came across as argumentative, or worse malicious, but I've noticed some people like to make fun of others in this forum, not that I interpreted your comment that way, but you never can tell. Incidentally, point well taken, table experience is obviously more beneficial than textbooks once one understands "the fundamentals."
Old 11-23-2005, 03:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Sorry if that came across as argumentative, or worse malicious, but I've noticed some people like to make fun of others in this forum, not that I interpreted your comment that way, but you never can tell. Incidentally, point well taken, table experience is obviously more beneficial than textbooks once one understands "the fundamentals."

[/ QUOTE ]
Don't take my comment the wrong way. I didn't mean "bother" as in it pisses me off. I think people some people do themselves a disservice by avoiding playing poker because they think they have a lot to learn. Bother was the wrong word to use I guess.

i.e. I was trying to be helpful.

edit: If your not beating the game, then I think you should look into playing for bonuses and/or rakeback if your not already. I was making money off poker, before I was ever beating the game, and it really takes the edge off the learning process.
Old 11-23-2005, 03:41 PM

c/r-a-rama

and if BB 3-bets, smooth call and c/r a non [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] turn - grab beer.