FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Poker skill
below average 69 27.94%
above average 178 72.06%
Voters: 247. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-22-2005, 05:26 PM

Default Re: Proud to be an American?

[ QUOTE ]
To those who are proud of the country (largely for things you have had little to no part in creating), do you also feel the yang to pride's yin -- shame for the negative things that this country has done? If you take personal pride in the good, shouldn't you feel the equivalent emotions for the bad?

[/ QUOTE ]
Excellent question!

Yes, I'm ashamed of some of the things that have happened "in my name." I'm also extremely pissed off about crap that some folks do.

And I'm also pissed that a minor fraction of the good things we do around the world ever gets noticed. No, we shouldn't do good things just for good press. But I think good things deserve good press. Just as much as the bad. Wouldn't that be the "fair" way to do it?
Old 11-22-2005, 05:45 PM

Luxemburg:

purchasing power parity - $58,900 (2004 est.)

USA:

purchasing power parity - $40,100 (2004 est.)

http://www.cia.gov/cia/publications/factbook/
Old 11-22-2005, 06:05 PM

I noticed your link doesn't have any PPP stats on it.
Old 11-22-2005, 06:12 PM

You have to slect the country to bring up its info. It's not rocket science.

You can find the PPP statistics under the economy section.
Old 11-22-2005, 07:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
How could you not be proud. We live in the wealthiest, freest, most geographically beautiful country in the world. I don't agree with much of what we have done in the past and we are guilty of many evils. This is a fact that all of humanity has to face however. One can be proud that they live in a wealthy, powerfull, easy living country and not support past sins. Anyone who lives in Western Europe, North America, and liberal Pacific Governments would be foolish not to be proud or grateful. Seriously, try out explaining your dissatifaction of our countries with people living in Darfur. They would invariable view us as spoiled and ungrateful.

[/ QUOTE ]

1 Luxembourg $ 55,100 (GDP/capita)
2 Norway $ 37,800
3 United States $ 37,800

thrid wealthiest. Somalia has no government, so they are the most free. beauty is subjective, so i disagree with you on that too.

[/ QUOTE ]

Adjust those number to the PPP. We are much wealthier.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think you mix things up. Of course it is adjusted to PPP. Any GDP-measure without it would be completely non-sencical and I have never seen one published. However, consumption is higher in the US than in Norway (I don't know about Luxembourg). A high portion of our annual GDP is invested abroad and not consumed.
Old 11-22-2005, 07:39 PM

Right, it's just funny how you looked it up and then went back to the main screen to reference it.
Old 11-22-2005, 07:43 PM

Well you would have to go find it yourself in both links. I simply provided the main source so you can look up any other countries you want.

A more complete list:
http://www.nationmaster.com/graph-T/eco_gdp_cap
Old 11-22-2005, 08:37 PM

I would not renounce my citizenship, because I was born here and this is my home.

However, I am often deeply ashamed of my country's leaders and of its citizens. In other words, there are many times when I am not proud to be an American.

The phrase "being American" really ought to be defined more precisely. If it means "being a US citizen," then for most of us being proud to be an American is as silly as being proud of one's skin color.

If it means "being represented by the current government of the United States," then many will feel as I do; not proud, but deeply ashamed.

If it means "being represented by the PEOPLE of the United States," then I am proud of many but also ashamed at many.
Old 11-22-2005, 10:49 PM

Your poll question is not the same as your thread title.
Old 11-22-2005, 11:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
How could you not be proud. We live in the wealthiest, freest, most geographically beautiful country in the world. I don't agree with much of what we have done in the past and we are guilty of many evils. This is a fact that all of humanity has to face however. One can be proud that they live in a wealthy, powerfull, easy living country and not support past sins. Anyone who lives in Western Europe, North America, and liberal Pacific Governments would be foolish not to be proud or grateful. Seriously, try out explaining your dissatifaction of our countries with people living in Darfur. They would invariable view us as spoiled and ungrateful.

[/ QUOTE ]

1 Luxembourg $ 55,100 (GDP/capita)
2 Norway $ 37,800
3 United States $ 37,800

thrid wealthiest. Somalia has no government, so they are the most free. beauty is subjective, so i disagree with you on that too.

[/ QUOTE ]

Looks to me like were tied for 2nd. Either you cant read or Im missing something.