Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-18-2005, 11:05 AM

Default Re: line check on hand

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
you would put the opponent on an 8 since he raised from an EP?

[/ QUOTE ]
Well, no, but probably a better hand than 6 high

[/ QUOTE ]

[img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Seriously though, obviously he had you beat and probably with an over pair so you needed a 7. You had to imply a $40 pot with that call. It simply wasnt a winner.

I liked it all but the call on the flop raise. And I would prefer to check behind with the free shot at the 7 or a spade. If the 7 came off for free, and he checked with an overpair hoping for a raise, he wouldnt know what hit him.
Old 11-18-2005, 11:21 AM

another question besides calling minraises is, is it actually more profitable to get into more hands at 50NL because of the many post-flop mistakes that your opponents will be making? My mistake of calling his check-raise after the flop was overshadowed by the free money he gave me on the turn, allowing me to get paid off on the river when I mad my hand. Getting free cards like this is no reason to go crazy with hands like 62s, but raising or re-raising occassionaly with some suited connector hands will afford you the opportunity for free cards, or will also allow you to steal many pots after the flop if you have good position. Sometimes, if you are OOP, but that move carries a lot more risk with it. Are these assumptions wrong? Or is playing ABC a lot better
Old 11-18-2005, 11:21 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
that guy had been trying to play back at me, so I felt that the check-minraise wasn't all that strong, and I was getting a round 4.5:1 on my call, so I didn't see that much wrong with calling his min-raise.

[/ QUOTE ]

is taking 4.5:1 odds when calling a min-raise faulty logic to have?

[/ QUOTE ]

yes because he will most likely bet again on the turn
Old 11-18-2005, 11:48 AM

[ QUOTE ]
that guy had been trying to play back at me, so I felt that the check-minraise wasn't all that strong, and I was getting a round 4.5:1 on my call, so I didn't see that much wrong with calling his min-raise. Of course, hindsight is 20/20, but since it was checked to me, I had to take a shot after the flop, because I usually do anyway, and the raise wasn't all that strong, so I called. I got extra lucky after getting the free card because I hit my flush and it made my opponent a pair of Kings with an Ace kicker.

[/ QUOTE ]

Even if the min-raise wasn't that strong you behind any two cards that villain is holding. You were getting nowhere near the right odds (implied or otherwise) to call his raise on the flop.

Be careful not take one hand where you made a mistake and got lucky as a soild play, it wasn't. Most of us learn these kind of lessons when we lose (a lot) money, be happy you can learn from a situation where you won.