Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-13-2005, 10:16 PM

Default Re: Movie Review: Elephant

That's what I mean. That seems like a sucky concept.

The actual event is important enough not to be trifled with and artsied up.

I'm sure the boys giving each other blowjobs in the shower or whatever really helped illuminate the issues and was no reflection on Van Sant's personal fantasies.
Old 11-13-2005, 10:59 PM

They just kiss. It's not a big deal.
Old 11-13-2005, 11:30 PM

I thought it was a pretty dam bad movie. The cinematography and directing seemed to be both quality and creative, but the script and acting were both pretty week. The storyline was very cheesy and the characters were way too typical for my taste. It was also very politically biased IMO.

All that can be countered by the fact that I was pretty deep on a bottle of Grey Goose when I threw it in.

-Jihad
Old 11-13-2005, 11:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
How could a movie about stupid teenage punks getting shot suck? And that gay scene pissed me off! Bring on the chicks next time.

[/ QUOTE ]

while everyone is entitled to there own OOT opinion on life. Your response is the reason why movies like elephant dont become huge successes and movie's like Daddy Daycare go number 1 weak after weak...

[ QUOTE ]
The only part I liked was when he shot his friend.

[/ QUOTE ]

'course it was.
Old 11-13-2005, 11:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
How could a movie about stupid teenage punks getting shot suck? And that gay scene pissed me off! Bring on the chicks next time.

[/ QUOTE ]

while everyone is entitled to there own OOT opinion on life. Your response is the reason why movies like elephant dont become huge successes and movie's like Daddy Daycare go number 1 weak after weak...

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

'course it was.

[/ QUOTE ]
you sound pretty enlightened
Old 11-14-2005, 04:27 AM

[ QUOTE ]
think it's a beautifully understated examination of what happened at Columbine.

[/ QUOTE ]

Was there anything about the actual comlumbine kids being gay, (or atleast having a sexual relationship). Either way, I don't believe that it was dealt with thuroughly enough in the film. But, if the columbine kids didn't have a sexual relationship, then I think the scene in the movie was cheap.
Old 11-14-2005, 04:44 AM

I didn't like this movie that much. I don't know much about the director, but I saw the movie on the ON DEMAND movie section and I recognized the directors name from somewhere, so I decided to watch it.

I liked the interesting cinematography at first, kinda just following around people doing every day school things. But it seemed to get a little tiresome and not enough action. I mean, I know that when you want to walk from the football field to the front door of the school you have to walk about 100 yards.....I don't need to see someone walking 100 yards.

The characters were decent, but I felt Van Sant could have spent a little more time building their personalities and less time showing how well they strut through the quad.

The shooting scenes were mediocre at best, but i'm guessing the director wasn't going for the gore type movie here. It just almost seems necessary that the movie be a little more graphic as to truly depict and make the viewer blieve that they are witnessing a school shooting.

And the gay sex scene should have been cut; way to random and not necessary to the plot whatsoever.
Old 11-14-2005, 06:41 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

'course it was.

[/ QUOTE ]
you sound pretty enlightened

[/ QUOTE ]He is, jnalpak is spot on here.
Old 11-14-2005, 06:48 AM

Watched it...kept me interested, but not enough that I'd recommend it to anyone without being prompted. Worth seeing, but not a top option.

Totally pointless side note:
I read Douglas Coupland's novel "Hey Nostradamus" and it seemed to capture the whole Columbine/school shooting thing in much better detail for a side part of the story. Now that book was freaking fabulous.
Old 11-14-2005, 06:51 AM

I think some of you guys are putting too much emphasis on the Columbine aspect of it like this post...[ QUOTE ]
Was there anything about the actual comlumbine kids being gay, (or atleast having a sexual relationship). Either way, I don't believe that it was dealt with thuroughly enough in the film. But, if the columbine kids didn't have a sexual relationship, then I think the scene in the movie was cheap.

[/ QUOTE ]

This movie just used the Columbine premise (ie. a school shooting) to show the pointlessness and inexplicability (word?) of violence like this, not OF Columbine.