Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-29-2002, 06:56 PM

Default are you kidding me?

you write:

'I don't understand your priorities. They are all about what makes you happy and have essentially no factor of becoming a productive member of society. You move places because its better for your social life. You study what makes you happy.'

why on earth should i be working toward making you (or anybody else) happy? are you suggesting that i should figure ou how best to serve my nationalist country and then go do that, whatever it may be, despite the fact that i would most likely hate my life doing so? why wouldn't i do what made me happy? productive member of society? how do you know what the ends to my means are? do you want me to go make Chalupas at Taco Bell and pay my rake and taxes like a good little American?

I'd rather not, thanks. What's wrong with studying philosophy anyways? when i have my PhD ill be writing, and teaching, and sitting on a think tank somewhere contributing more to society than i ever could slingin burgers or answering phones.

what priorities would you like me to have?
Old 03-29-2002, 07:04 PM

Default yes, personal issues should come into play here...

oh please, get off your high horse and smell the freaking roses:

if an idea is valid, it doesn't matter who said it. just because you may not like eLROY doesn't mean anything he says automatically loses some argumentative merit. if you think it does, i have NO reason to talk to you any further, because i don't care to discuss my life with an irrational stranger.

aside from the part about 'screwing girls on the pill, working as a career bartender, and drinking Double Diamond's with his pals', i think eLROY is right on. im not hell-bent on getting laid all the time, nor do i have any interest in being a bartender, career or otherwise. im not sure how old you are david ottosen, but i think there is probably a huge age gap in a lot of values that are clashing here.
Old 03-30-2002, 01:37 AM

Default Re: are you kidding me?

"What's wrong with studying philosophy anyways? when i have my PhD ill be writing, and teaching, and sitting on a think tank somewhere contributing more to society than i ever could slingin burgers or answering phones."

You really think you'll get paid for sitting on the toilet?

Old 04-01-2002, 08:03 PM

Default Game theory

Please study the "free rider" concept in game theory and think about how it relates to society. Like any non-free rider, I am opposed to free riders.

FYI: I'm 28.
Old 04-01-2002, 08:51 PM

Default baggins is a free rider?

That is just so silly, I don't even know where to begin. The thing is, it would be hard to show how Baggins is costing you a dime, rather than himself, by making these decisions.

Ever heard of the concept of moving assets forward and backwards in time? In any case, if you have mistaken Baggins for the parasite, chances are you are covered in them without realizing it.

Though believe me, I put you about a thousand miles ahead of everybody else who doesn't even try to think about it in terms of game theory, Ottosen

I like your post! If only more people would take your advice!

eLROY
Old 04-02-2002, 01:26 AM

Default sounds like it to me

baggins wrote:

"do you want me to go make Chalupas at Taco Bell and pay my rake and taxes like a good little American? I'd rather not, thanks."

If that doesn't sound like a free rider, I don't know what does. Someone else can pay taxes that pay for little things like police, highways, hospitals, so on so forth. You don't feel like it. But I'll bet you'll be the first to bitch if they aren't there when you need them.

He may not be a parasite at this exact moment, but my opinion is that he's walking in that direction.
Old 04-02-2002, 01:40 AM

Default Re: sounds like it to me

Walking in that direction? What is wrong with going to school and going after a job that is going to make you happy? I quit my job as a mechanic after 15 years because I hated it. I'm back in school and when I graduate, I can expect to make at least 10 to 15 grand LESS per year that I got for turning wrenches. But at least I'll be enjoying my work. I wish I had taken baggins's road at 23 years old, instead of waiting 12 years.
Old 04-02-2002, 07:38 AM

Default baggins will NEVER get tax-negative *NM*

Old 04-02-2002, 02:36 PM

Default math question

If you were living on that kind of daily expenditure, how could you not be saving money?
Old 04-03-2002, 02:38 AM

Default math answer

well, i guess its pretty easy.

1. i wasn't making that much $$ to begin with

2. there were other expenses i forgot (like gas and cigarettes , money i 'lent' to people who aren't going to pay it back, toll charges when taking the tollway system here in Illinois, the occasional concert, etc.) and those all add up pretty quickly when you consider #1.

plus i only had that job for 8 months, which isn't exactly enough time to really save a lot of money. especially when you don't have a separate bankroll for poker, which means that it all comes from the same pool of ca$h, which means that a big downswing WILL effect spending until the next paycheck (which actually did happen, pretty big downswing right after the last paycheck i got )