Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-07-2005, 10:56 AM

Default Re: I started doing this lately...

[ QUOTE ]
should I stop?

[/ QUOTE ]

Short answer: No.

This has to be part of an expert player's game. Of course, as with most moves/principles, it's all about applying it in the right situation. I think this is a reasonable spot though. A turn bet/fold with a river check behind would also be reasonable. River's a bitch if you miss and he bets -- his stats are right on the borderline for a call. With such a small pot I probably fold.
Old 11-07-2005, 12:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Some problems I found with this play...when I raise the flop, all kinds of hands will bet the river and you'll be folding the best hand a lot. Especially when you do this play with an ace. Also, at 5/10 I noticed a much higher % of players who will 3-bet the flop with Ace high or better-now you have to call that, too, right? Further, there is a % of the time where villain pulls a stop and go.

The answer to this question is that if you KNOW you will get a free card, then it's better than just calling or folding. But in my experience too many things go wrong.

M

[/ QUOTE ]

You can wrap percentages around the times is goes wrong to find out how often is has to go wrong to be unprofitable. Just saying it does wrong too often doesn't convince me. Also in my opinion you think the 5/10 game is way more aggro than it is. The stats of the donker are not the stats of a ace high 3-bettor. Plus if he 3-bets I'm folding anyway.

Krishan
Old 11-07-2005, 12:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Some problems I found with this play...when I raise the flop, all kinds of hands will bet the river and you'll be folding the best hand a lot.

[/ QUOTE ]
I think a player's goal here as he moves up should be to offer his opponent a breakeven bluff at the pot on the river- that is to play a proportion of hands you'll call with versus hands you'll fold with that reflects the size of the pot. So yes, you will be folding some king or queen high winners (generally in small pots), but you'll also pick up more bets with your small pairs and ace highs that catch bluffs.