FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-02-2005, 04:44 AM

Default Re: Classical Music

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
This is wrong where new listeners are concerned

[/ QUOTE ]

Not really. You don't need years of "refined" listening to have an immediate and visceral preference for one conductor over another, one performer over another. Absolute classical neophytes (which the OP isn't) can distinguish between two different sounds, and presumably choose their own preference. If this isn't the case, then what is being played doesn't matter either.

[/ QUOTE ]

you seem to misunderstand my meaning. to a new listener trying to evaluate tastes and preferences, the differences between pieces are far greater than the differences between performers.

[/ QUOTE ]

To an extent you're right: it doesn't matter if he listens to Alfred Brendel or Wilhelm Kempf perform Beethoven's piano sonatas. To an extent you're wrong: there is a glut of bad emotionless performances of many of the great pieces of classical music.
Old 11-02-2005, 05:52 AM

Try some string quartets of Haydn and Schubert. Naxos has some very good $6 CDs featuring the Kronos Quartet.

~ Rick
Old 11-03-2005, 12:54 AM

OK, Jason_T wanted me to come back with a couple of songs I particularly liked, so here's a short list, although I know that I've heard other songs that I liked but can't remember.

Handel - Water Music
Mozart - Turkish March
Beethoven - Symphonies 7 and 9
Rimsky - Flight of the Bumble Bee

Also, that music that WQXR always uses, I obviously can't recreate it here, but the best I can do is it sounds like "Dun dun (pause) dun dun." They use it when they're coming back from commercial breaks, and if you listen, I'm sure you'll know what I'm talking about. I found an MP3 with that little segment, but I'd like to find the full pieece.

Also, I'm sorry if I'm a complete moron and put the wrong composers with any of these pieces.
Old 11-03-2005, 01:17 AM

Take one of the music courses offered by Professor DelDonna at Georgetown. I'm not sure what they're offering next semester, but it'll be the most enojoyable A you ever get.

If you like Rimsky-Korsakov, then get ahold of Cappriccio Espangole and the Scheherazade Suite fast. They're both terrific pieces.

You liked Beethoven 7 and 9 right? Listen to Brahms 1 and 4, 4 especially will blow you away.
Old 11-03-2005, 01:28 AM

[ QUOTE ]

The only thing I know I like is Wagner.

[/ QUOTE ]

nazi
Old 11-03-2005, 01:40 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Handel - Water Music

[/ QUOTE ]

If you haven't already get all three Water Music suites and also check out Music for the Royal Fireworks.

[ QUOTE ]

Mozart - Turkish March

[/ QUOTE ]

Try Haydn and Mozart's piano sonatas as well as Mozart's rondos and Beethoven's bagatelles.

[ QUOTE ]
Beethoven - Symphonies 7 and 9

[/ QUOTE ]

Listen to his other symphones as well as the symphonies of Dvorak (7/9) and Brahms (1/4).

[ QUOTE ]
Also, that music that WQXR always uses, I obviously can't recreate it here, but the best I can do is it sounds like "Dun dun (pause) dun dun." They use it when they're coming back from commercial breaks, and if you listen, I'm sure you'll know what I'm talking about. I found an MP3 with that little segment, but I'd like to find the full pieece.

[/ QUOTE ]

PM me the mp3.
Old 11-03-2005, 02:22 AM

[ QUOTE ]

Listen to his other symphones as well as the symphonies of Dvorak (7/9) and Brahms (1/4).

[/ QUOTE ]

Good choices. I was going to mention those exact same Dvorak Symphonies, but I figured Brahms was enough for one night.

I actually saw Dvorak 7 live 2 weeks ago. The main feature was Bruch's Scottish Fantasie, so that stole the show, but that symphony is terrific, and the New World is one of my all time favorites.