Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-03-2005, 04:49 PM

Default Re: NC, I want to play like a maniac---My journey to the dark side

Strangely enough, if they are very low in skill, playing like a maniac in a manner that increases varriance is a good idea.

Imagine if you had 9 Doyle Burnson clones at your tournement table. How would you play?

I'd be a raving lunatic pushing all in preflop to negate as much of their skill postflop as I could. Because I'd have zero chance of outplaying them postflop so why not get them to flip coins preflop *even* if it's to my disadvantage.

Now you go to your .25/.50 NL $10Max buying.

With only 20 freaking big blinds I'd be pushing all in on the flop or preflop every hand I was in. NO way do I want to let their better post flop skill take effect.

What you can do.

Suggest that the blinds in the tournement start smaller and go up slower ... so you can play "REAL POKER"

Have deeper stacks in your cash games. Play either 0.05/0.10 for $10Max buyin or .25/.25 $20MAX.

Or just have fun and join the manaics, play like a nut during the rebuy period of your tournement and build a huge stack and use it to clobber the small stakes once the rebuy period is over.