Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-30-2005, 02:14 PM

Default Re: Scarface is hugely overrated

[ QUOTE ]
I finally saw Scarface for the first time just a few months ago after several friends urged me that it was one of the best movies ever made. So I sat down and watched it. I have to say that it is one of the worst movies I have ever seen. The movie is just mindless violence and drug use.

[/ QUOTE ]

ugg...disagree

[ QUOTE ]
The only appeal that I saw to the movie was Pachino's performance, but other than that the movie was a waste of my time.

[/ QUOTE ]

you're on the right track with the whole Pacino thing, cause he's the man.

[ QUOTE ]
For those of you who haven't seen the movie, please don't waste your time. Watch Godfather 1 and 2 instead.

[/ QUOTE ]

well you liked these, so that is a start.
Old 10-30-2005, 02:24 PM

I've always thought you need to take Scarface with an enormous grain of salt. Part of what makes it so awesome is how completely over-the-top Pacino's antics (and everything else in the movie) are. You're not supposed to take it seriously, are you?
Old 10-30-2005, 02:33 PM

I just think its funny how all these rappers think scarface is awesome and they just worship him completely missing the fact that scarface is a piece of shit who ruins his life and the lives of everyone around him.
Old 10-30-2005, 02:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I just think its funny how all these rappers think scarface is awesome and they just worship him completely missing the fact that scarface is a piece of shit who ruins his life and the lives of everyone around him.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is like listening to rap for the high quality lyrics. I just watch the movie and listen to the music and get out of it what I enjoy. No stressful thinking needed for either.
Old 10-30-2005, 02:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
This is like listening to rap for the high quality lyrics. I just watch the movie and listen to the music and get out of it what I enjoy. No stressful thinking needed for either.

[/ QUOTE ]

I value lyrics.

Also when I first saw this thread I thought it was gonna be about the rapper and I got all annoyed.
Old 10-30-2005, 03:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
No.

[/ QUOTE ]

I respect your disagreement but you gotta say something more than just no.

[/ QUOTE ]
hahahahahaha!

[/ QUOTE ]

More and more I believe that respect in OOT is gained from number posts and not from thoughtful comments.

[/ QUOTE ]

The only "thoughtful" comment you made was that the movie was solely about violence and drug use. You didn't even come CLOSE to giving a half-way decent review on the movie, so you should probably stop making inane statements like "newbies don't get respect here!"

And I've never even seen Scarface.
Old 10-30-2005, 03:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I've always thought you need to take Scarface with an enormous grain of salt. Part of what makes it so awesome is how completely over-the-top Pacino's antics (and everything else in the movie) are. You're not supposed to take it seriously, are you?

[/ QUOTE ]
The problem is that every rapper on cribs takes it absolutely seriously, which creates an entire subcultere of 13 year old boys who assume it must be great before the even see it.
If you really sit down and view it objectively it is bad movie. If you enjoy bad movies that are completely over the top, I recommend "The Towering Inferno." The scene where OJ Simpson rescues a cat and stikes a heisman pose while stiff arming the fire is quite possibly the greatest bad movie moment ever, IMO.
Old 10-30-2005, 04:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I just think its funny how all these rappers think scarface is awesome and they just worship him completely missing the fact that scarface is a piece of [censored] who ruins his life and the lives of everyone around him.

[/ QUOTE ]

This has always surprised me, too. Hip-hop culture COMPLETELY misses the point of the movie, I think. To me, it seemed pretty obvious the movie is about Tony's desperate need for family (his maniacal devotion to Gina, his refusal to hurt the children in the car, his desire to be with Elvira to start his own family, etc.) and the hollowness of his ruthless business success. Hip-hop culture just looks at it and says, dude came from nothing to the top, and he's a badass. Also drugs.

Tony Montana has more in common with Greek tragedy than Tupac, IMO.
Old 10-30-2005, 04:10 PM

I hated scarface the first time I saw it, I'm guessing because it was so hyped up as being the greatest movie ever.

after I watched it for the first time I hated it and didn't watch it for a long time. when I watched it a few more times after that I loved it.
Old 10-30-2005, 04:31 PM

What,joo fuking kidding mang?