Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-25-2005, 04:30 PM

Default Re: veganism

[ QUOTE ]
I am assuming that this vegan like the countless other vegans I have encountered want to push their beliefs of a "cruelty free lifstyle" onto others while not totally enbracing the actual meaning of what they are preaching.

[/ QUOTE ]

Seems like a pretty big assumption to say the least.

Look at this thread and you'll see that if there's any rabidness going around, it's at least as strong on the anti-vegan side. You'd think someone just proposed [censored] these guy's mothers.
Old 10-25-2005, 04:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I am assuming that this vegan like the countless other vegans I have encountered want to push their beliefs of a "cruelty free lifstyle" onto others while not totally enbracing the actual meaning of what they are preaching.

[/ QUOTE ]

Seems like a pretty big assumption to say the least.

Look at this thread and you'll see that if there's any rabidness going around, it's at least as strong on the anti-vegan side. You'd think someone just proposed [censored] these guy's mothers.

[/ QUOTE ]

This was a half joking comment that didn't express my true sentiment.
Old 10-25-2005, 04:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Look to see if that Vegan wears leather shoes or belts or has a leather wallet and ask them how they justify that?

[/ QUOTE ]

I think this is a good one, better than Paluka does. Pointing out that you're a hypocrite doesn't get any better if you say, well, I'm less of a hypocrite than some other guys are. There's validity to that, but it doesn't really invalidate the point that you're a hypocrite, or the sting of that accusation.

[/ QUOTE ]

What a weird post. Paluka's post was right on, so I won't repeat it. The idea of someone's not going all out in one direction somehow invalidating the sacrifices that they do make is beyond silly. You're doing something that you believe is morally right, but you're not doing everything that you believe is morally right, so you're a hypocrite and your arguments have no merit. BS. This a clear sign of someone who has no argument, and has to resort to lame attempts at "stinging" because they can't dent the ideas behind the issue.

90% of my arguments go along these lines.

"I'm a vegan."
"Veganism isn't right."
"Why?"
"Well, do you wear leather shoes?!"

90% of people are morons.

P.S. I don't overtly use any animal products in my daily life, and haven't for years.
Old 10-25-2005, 04:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Look to see if that Vegan wears leather shoes or belts or has a leather wallet and ask them how they justify that?

[/ QUOTE ]

I think this is a good one, better than Paluka does. Pointing out that you're a hypocrite doesn't get any better if you say, well, I'm less of a hypocrite than some other guys are. There's validity to that, but it doesn't really invalidate the point that you're a hypocrite, or the sting of that accusation.

[/ QUOTE ]

What a weird post. Paluka's post was right on, so I won't repeat it. The idea of someone's not going all out in one direction somehow invalidating the sacrifices that they do make is beyond silly. You're doing something that you believe is morally right, but you're not doing everything that you believe is morally right, so you're a hypocrite and your arguments have no merit. BS. This a clear sign of someone who has no argument, and has to resort to lame attempts at "stinging" because they can't dent the ideas behind the issue.

"I'm a vegan."
"Veganism isn't right."
"Why?"

P.S. I don't overtly use any animal products in my daily life, and haven't for years.

[/ QUOTE ]

You just conviced me, that I was probably wrong. However don't you see the problem with advocating a lifestyle that you don't totally enbrace?

This would be like saying it is ok for that Southern Baptist to push God on you while he goes out and commits X sin everyday. You would call him a hypocrite wouldn't you.
Old 10-25-2005, 04:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

"I'm a vegan."
"Veganism isn't right."
"Why?"

[/ QUOTE ]

You just conviced me, that I was probably wrong. However don't you see the problem with advocating a lifestyle that you don't totally enbrace?

This would be like saying it is ok for that Southern Baptist to push God on you while he goes out and commits X sin everyday. You would call him a hypocrite wouldn't you.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't believe in anyone pushing their ideas on anyone else. I do believe in having arguments with willing counterparts who are open to being convinced. I gave up on trying to convince anyone of anything a long time ago when I realized just how many people are violently closed-minded. I will defend my stance when attacked though.
Old 10-25-2005, 04:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

"I'm a vegan."
"Veganism isn't right."
"Why?"

[/ QUOTE ]

You're working way too hard. Hypocrisy is hypocrisy, even when it's hypocrisy-lite.

That doesn't at all negate the good that people do even if they decline to be saints. But what you do is what you do, period. You can't erase it or object to it being noticed because you would prefer reality is anything other than what it is.

I have infinitely more respect for people who would say, "I'm doing something that I don't think is 100% the best thing to do, but there are only so many sacrifices I am willing to make, and I'm not going to deny my imperfections," than for someone who says, "What, I didn't do nuthin'!"
Old 10-25-2005, 04:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

"I'm a vegan."
"Veganism isn't right."
"Why?"

[/ QUOTE ]

You're working way too hard. Hypocrisy is hypocrisy, even when it's hypocrisy-lite.

That doesn't at all negate the good that people do even if they decline to be saints. But what you do is what you do, period. You can't erase it or object to it being noticed because you would prefer reality is anything other than what it is.

I have infinitely more respect for people who would say, "I'm doing something that I don't think is 100% the best thing to do, but there are only so many sacrifices I am willing to make, and I'm not going to deny my imperfections," than for someone who says, "What, I didn't do nuthin'!"

[/ QUOTE ]

You're not getting it. I'm saying that calling someone a hypocrite isn't an argument against veganism. If you're discussing someone's virtue, then you can bring up their hypocrisy about animal products, but I'm sure you can find much better sins to sting them with. If you're arguing about veganism, then stick to the topic and try to come up with some argument against it. People always think that there's some implicit statement of superiority when someone says they're a vegan, and they automatically look for some way to hurt their credibility, rather than actually thinking about the issue. The ignorant try to attack ideas by bringing up actions. So many people treat these arguments like elections.
Old 10-25-2005, 04:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I doubt this will be much of an issue. I have yet to meet a vegan who purchases things made from leather, and I used to be involved in animal rights so I have met lots of them. Some do however continue to wear leather garments they might have bought before becoming vegans.
Old 10-25-2005, 04:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I doubt this will be much of an issue. I have yet to meet a vegan who purchases things made from leather, and I used to be involved in animal rights so I have met lots of them. Some do however continue to wear leather garments they might have bought before becoming vegans.

[/ QUOTE ]

Where you hit them really hard is in their furniture. Nobody likes to throw out a $2,000 couch. Or feel bad about the leather seats in their car.

Sports equipment can work too. Lots of leather there.
Old 10-25-2005, 04:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Where you hit them really hard is in their furniture. Nobody likes to throw out a $2,000 couch. Or feel bad about the leather seats in their car.

Sports equipment can work too. Lots of leather there.

[/ QUOTE ]

Vegans don't play sports.