Old 10-25-2005, 10:38 AM

Default Re: AT hand that\'s been bugging me

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Turn is a must raise though.

[/ QUOTE ]

Plot thickens...

[/ QUOTE ]

How can we not raise this turn? Im not convinced we don't have the best hand, we have nut outs, and our T outs will probably be solid, IF we're dominated. And I still don't think we are yet.
Old 10-25-2005, 10:40 AM

Here's another idea....

Why is raising the turn superior to calling down? Whats a different move we can pull on the river?
Old 10-25-2005, 10:43 AM

Since I'm going to bed, I'll write it here.... Have a think...

We can check behind on the river as better hands like AK will probably call our raise fearing a made flush and check the river too us. So we're paying the same amount of bets. But hands worse then ours will probably still commit to a showdown. The only arguement for flat calling is so we can raise the river if we hit our outs, but lets face it, 4 flush on the board, its a brave man who bets out, and then calls our raise.

Raising the turn, checking behind on the river is a cool line and I believe to be the superior one. If the maniac 3-bets, no worries, we'll river a [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]
Old 10-25-2005, 11:19 AM

I like the post. Plenty of information.

At first I didn't like the 3-bet with ATo, but I liked it more when I understood you were trying to isolate UTG. But... you have to realize it didn't work. CO didn't fold. It's not HU and you aren't closing the action even though CO probably won't try to get sexy.

The c/r on the flop is scary, and probably means you are beaten wether it be A's with a higher kicker, TP, or a set. I'd be inclined to fold the flop because your original plan with ATo is obviously not working out.

I'd call not raise the turn. No one is folding and with 9 outs you are expected to hit the flush only 20% of the time. Not a +EV raise.

If I called the turn, I'd crying call the river. But then again I would have folded on the flop.
Old 10-25-2005, 12:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The c/r on the flop is scary, and probably means you are beaten wether it be A's with a higher kicker, TP, or a set. I'd be inclined to fold the flop because your original plan with ATo is obviously not working out.

[/ QUOTE ]
Folding the flop getting 18.5:1 would be a huge mistake.

I like raising the turn and taking a free showdown UI. Preflop is also borderline, but I don't mind. I do the same with ATs, so ATo can't be horrible.
Old 10-25-2005, 12:12 PM

I don't think there's any other way to play it. A turn raise just chases out CO who is likely drawing very thin and is just padding the pot here. Why knock him out? We have a strong draw anyway. And no one is folding a better hand here.
Old 10-25-2005, 12:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't think there's any other way to play it. A turn raise just chases out CO who is likely drawing very thin and is just padding the pot here. Why knock him out? We have a strong draw anyway. And no one is folding a better hand here.

[/ QUOTE ]

If CO has a pair he is drawing profitably on the turn. I think I raise the turn as we have still have a fuckton of outs if we're behind UTG.

EDIT: Actually nevermind if we're behind UTG I don't really care if CO is drawing profitably or not.
Old 10-25-2005, 12:38 PM

The point about taking the free showdown UI is a good one. I like the turn raise now. Good post. Thanks for your contributions.
Old 10-25-2005, 12:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Folding the flop getting 18.5:1 would be a huge mistake.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yea that was dumb. Pot is huge.

I'm still not convinced that a raise on the turn is a good idea. I just don't believe UTG will believe the flush and check the river.
Old 10-25-2005, 12:57 PM

A lot of passive players freeze up to turn raises - MUBS, etc. If they then go and donk the river into you (or 3bet the river), is almost always means a hand bigger than TPTK.