Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-24-2005, 05:05 AM

Default Re: Overbet Bluff For Review

this seems like an exorbitant amount to pay for "advertising".
if this guy is worth playing heads up with you should have enough of an edge over him not to pull this move.
Old 10-24-2005, 05:10 AM

[ QUOTE ]
You do not get to be a winning player at these levels without being able to identify the difference in betting lines, boards, etc. very quickly. There is all sorts of time to analyze how the hand developed and put people on ranges.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ok, that's fair I don't think on that level (without pokertracker I'll be useless for online play). But I'll be very confused at the line besides rived boat and draw on pass big hands that had a big overbet in it to decide what to do...
Old 10-24-2005, 05:13 AM

[ QUOTE ]
But I'll be very confused at the line besides rived boat and draw on pass big hands that had a big overbet in it to decide what to do...

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow, my brain just broke.
Old 10-24-2005, 05:19 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
But I'll be very confused at the line besides rived boat and draw on pass big hands that had a big overbet in it to decide what to do...

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow, my brain just broke.

[/ QUOTE ]

LMAO.

Every time you get halfway through you get lost and have to start reading again from the beginning.
Old 10-24-2005, 05:27 AM

Sorry I have dyslexia but can normally keep it under control inless I've been drinking or tierd.
Old 10-24-2005, 05:36 AM

[ QUOTE ]
this seems like an exorbitant amount to pay for "advertising".
if this guy is worth playing heads up with you should have enough of an edge over him not to pull this move.

[/ QUOTE ]

when he checked it to me, i was just thinking how bored i am of having to check here and let him take it down.

it'd be interesting if people said what percent of time they think he'd call here. Maximum 10%, probably closer to 5%.

if he calls, then he calls. i think its a GREAT image play. It'd open the fricking flood gates. if he calls, then ill reevaluate and try to overbet with the nuts in certain situations.

its silly, just an idea.
Old 10-24-2005, 05:41 AM

[ QUOTE ]
it'd be interesting if people said what percent of time they think he'd call here. Maximum 10%, probably closer to 5%.

[/ QUOTE ]

Agree completely.

[ QUOTE ]
if he calls, then he calls. i think its a GREAT image play. It'd open the fricking flood gates. if he calls, then ill reevaluate and try to overbet with the nuts in certain situations.

[/ QUOTE ]

Disagree somewhat.
Old 10-24-2005, 05:46 AM

[ QUOTE ]
this hand is fake.

when he checked it to me, i was just thinking how bored i am of having to check here and let him take it down.

its silly, just an idea.

[/ QUOTE ]

i didn't say you have to check it down and let him have it...i just said i don't think an 11K overbet is the right number.
Old 10-24-2005, 06:28 AM

you bet 14k into 1.2k pot? if he calls 10% of the time, its +EV by a fair margin, if he calls 5% its not that bad on his end.
Old 10-24-2005, 06:34 AM

I would never do this as a means to altering the metagame. I would only start doing this if it was a clear exploit of my opponent's play, that is if my opponent clearly didn't have a ready made counter for my big overbets, and erred too far on the side of caution with respect to calling them, which would make these bets +ev in isolation.

I just don't think people start rolling a twenty sided die at the computer enough or well enough to necessitate making these plays if the plays aren't clearly going to be +ev in isolation. Any human you play against will make plays that are exploitable. The key is to find the method which best exploits the flaws in their game as they are playing it right now.

If the flaws in their game aren't big enough for your liking or the counterstrategy is too uncomfortable to play, or perhaps just isn't esthetically pleasing, then you play in such a way as to force them into a different style which better suits your aims.

It seems like you have a good thing going here v arbitrary--you have a read on his play, are matching up well etc.--, so my question would be, what is your goal with the massive overbet? Are you doing it because you judge it to be intrinsically profitable or because it will force arbitrary to adjust in such a way as to become more easily exploitable, or both?