Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-23-2005, 04:06 PM

Default Re: 1 million years ago, who were humans predators?

[ QUOTE ]

Do a quick search on Google. There are plenty of instances of lion attacks. Every so often they'll rampage and take out 10-20 villagers in the space of a food weeks. This usually only happens when their natural food sources are not available.

There are places in India where tigers consider humans as just another food source. It's illegal to hunt tigers in India and the penalties for doing so are severe, so tigers don't have much fear of humans.

There's been a few cases of mountain lions killing humans in the western US and Canada. Same with grizzly bears. And polar bears will kill you without a second thought.

Basically, if a predatory animal is hungry and is bigger than you -- especially if you're alone, it may try to eat you. To the predator, you're just another walking source of meat.

What saved human ancestors millions of years ago was the fact that we travelled in groups, had primitive weapons to defend ourselves with, were more intelligent and could make fire.

[/ QUOTE ]

that's what my user name is from, "bwana devil". i use it for differnet reasons. but it was one of the first 3D films which is based on a true story about a village in africa that was attacked by lions because the lions' natural food supply became scarce. it's supposed to be an absolutely horrid film.

it was remade in the 90s as "the ghost in the darkness."
Old 10-23-2005, 04:13 PM

And in the 50's by Bob Hope as Call Me Bwana.

Just kidding.
Old 10-23-2005, 04:14 PM

I saw that movie (the remake, not the original), and had read that it was based on a true story.

I think a lot of people have no idea exactly how big and fast a full grown lion is. You have absolutely no chance against it if you're out in the open and it decides to eat you.
Old 10-23-2005, 04:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
people always say "we evolved this way because 1 million years ago humans had to deal with these predators". or something like that. what exactly were those predators humans had to deal with a long time ago?

[/ QUOTE ]

what do you mean evolved this way? what way? are you talking about intelligence, physique, what?

[/ QUOTE ]

not clear on your question. i'm not really talking about anything ins pecific that evolved right now, just curious who exactly these nebulous predators were that are referred to so often.
Old 10-23-2005, 04:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
people always say "we evolved this way because 1 million years ago humans had to deal with these predators". or something like that. what exactly were those predators humans had to deal with a long time ago?

[/ QUOTE ]

what do you mean evolved this way? what way? are you talking about intelligence, physique, what?

[/ QUOTE ]

not clear on your question. i'm not really talking about anything ins pecific that evolved right now, just curious who exactly these nebulous predators were that are referred to so often.

[/ QUOTE ]

Mostly animals that are the ancestors of modern predators. Saber-toothed tigers would be a good example.

Many of the predators that ancient humans had to deal with were much bigger than modern predators. There aren't too many large predators left on the planet. Many of them died out during ice ages or were outcompeted for food by humans.
Old 10-23-2005, 04:37 PM

Remember also that territoriality and motherhood make animals aggressive too. On motherhood, there are the cautionary tales of mother bears destroying anything that wanders between them and their cubs, which applies handily to other species. On territoriality, hippos, rhinos, and even deer can be fiercely territorial and aggressive. And during mating season, elephants can go into a rage and charge anything without any provocation at all, including smashing down trees. Even animals that basically have no interest in other animals can be serious threats to them.
Old 10-23-2005, 05:10 PM

I think we were still called [censored] erectus 1 million years ago and pretty much still in Africa - so pretty much bigger version of the animals in Africa today would be my guess as "predators".
Old 10-23-2005, 05:19 PM

Censored Erectus. I like that. I want to be that species.
Old 10-23-2005, 05:50 PM

thanks for responses gentlemen
Old 10-23-2005, 06:28 PM

Humans were the predators.