Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-24-2005, 07:08 AM

Default Re: Pretty straightforward hand, but i\'m lost.

.. and certainly not after a limper. To open with UTG, or UTG+1, I can sort of understand. Though generally, I don't fold even then unless it's an aggressive table.
Old 10-24-2005, 08:23 AM

yep, I agree, looks like BB hit a flush, not much you can do there.

Steve
Old 10-24-2005, 09:02 AM

I think your line was fine. But you might want to put in a small, maybe a min-raise, on the turn. At this level it might encourage a check on the river and give you a free check out. At this level I think your hand was good and you want to avoid a big bet on the river from someone playing Q with a worse kicker.
Old 10-24-2005, 01:56 PM

I raise pf here to isolate the limper as at the t800 games, your utg+1 could be holding *. As it stands, I prolly dump this on the turn as you don't have very much invested in it.
Old 10-24-2005, 03:18 PM

Preflop: You can definitely raise here, at an 11 you will get called by lots of people with hands as weak as QTo or Ax off.
Flop: I think betting 50 is fine in this case. This is where a pfr is helpful. If you raised pf, you take away a lot of the implied odds a person with flush or straight draws have, which may make chasing closer to correct. A 150 pot size bet with 625 behind is a much bigger mistake to call than a 50 bet with 725 behind.
Turn: At this point, you need to raise to find out where you are at. If he is using the 35 as a blocking bet to draw to his A flush cheaply, calling is definitely the wrong play. He may also bet small with a weak queen at this point. If you raise, and he pushes, you can fold. But if he smooth calls, you can become much more agressive when a non scary (club or king) hits.
River: In your spot, the pot isn't big enough to call, so you have to lay it down. At 11s villians make this bet with or without the king, as a bluff when they missed the flush, but a call still isn't profitable. If you show more agression earlier in the hand, it will make him much less likely to get out of line and will likely just check to you. At this point you can decide, to value bet, or see a free showdown.
Old 10-24-2005, 03:22 PM

phew...just when the thread was starting to piss me off.
Old 10-24-2005, 03:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Preflop: You can definitely raise here, at an 11 you will get called by lots of people with hands as weak as QTo or Ax off.
Flop: I think betting 50 is fine in this case. This is where a pfr is helpful. If you raised pf, you take away a lot of the implied odds a person with flush or straight draws have, which may make chasing closer to correct. A 150 pot size bet with 625 behind is a much bigger mistake to call than a 50 bet with 725 behind.
Turn: At this point, you need to raise to find out where you are at. If he is using the 35 as a blocking bet to draw to his A flush cheaply, calling is definitely the wrong play. He may also bet small with a weak queen at this point. If you raise, and he pushes, you can fold. But if he smooth calls, you can become much more agressive when a non scary (club or king) hits.
River: In your spot, the pot isn't big enough to call, so you have to lay it down. At 11s villians make this bet with or without the king, as a bluff when they missed the flush, but a call still isn't profitable. If you show more agression earlier in the hand, it will make him much less likely to get out of line and will likely just check to you. At this point you can decide, to value bet, or see a free showdown.

[/ QUOTE ]

Just wanted to say I thought this guy put some time into this thoughtful post.