Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-20-2005, 07:05 PM

Default Re: blind defense with Q9s

I don't like the pf 3-bet. I just call and hope to flop well.

The only hands I could see Villain playing this way are AA and JJ and maybe AKs. I doubt very much that he caps KQ. TT might be a possibility, but I'm not convinced it's a capping hand. Nor JJ for that matter, but it at least seems more likely.

The flop is confusing. JJ or a slowplayed AA seem to make the most sense. I'd expect Villan to bet with TPTK but you never know. Seems less than what he'd need for a slowplay, and even passive players bet top pair. It's also unclear if he whiffed on a turn c/r or the river improved him.

I can see just calling the river 3-bet but don't think a cap is bad. I think we forget how easy it is to be blinded by a big hand and not pay enough attention to the board. The 4-straight isn't as obvious as some and could easily be missed. The flush is runner runner and probably far less worrying to Villain than if the flop had two spades and the river brought a third. At the very least it has to be close. I run across overplayed sets and such from ostensibly passive players all the time, and this board probably isn't as scary to Villain as one might think.
Old 10-20-2005, 08:08 PM

I like how you played the hand except the PF 3-bet (I would just call the raise, he probably had you dominated). But actually 3-betting PF allowed you to cap the river. Capping the river seems fine to me, I don't think he has a flash. A player that passive PF will not cap PF w/o big hand. The hands that make flush are AKs and AQs and he would bet the flop with them. I really think that he tried to slowplay a set here (probably AA). You still lose to QK but I doubt he'd cap PF with it.
Old 10-20-2005, 11:29 PM

Call preflop. I hate 3-betting against steals with a hand that has little UI showdown value, and Q high is definitely that. Doubly so because SB hasn't raised pre-flop a single time in 7 orbits.

Hand plays differently after that. With 4 small bets in preflop and the ace on the board, I just fold the gut shot and move on to the next hand.
Old 10-20-2005, 11:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You still lose to QK but I doubt he'd cap PF with it.

[/ QUOTE ]

You never know. I've seen people 3-bet with Q9. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 10-21-2005, 02:20 AM

if anyone cares, villain had AA and MHIG