Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Group 4 - Eight vs. Nine
Black Rain (8) 74 52.86%
The Last Starfighter (9) 66 47.14%
Voters: 140. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-19-2005, 03:17 PM

Default Re: What have you done to legalize Pot?

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[censored] you. goddamn rape by holy men happens just as much in the other denominations, but it's only when a catholic priest does it that it makes news.

yeah, let's forget about the fact that the catholic church is the world's leading organizer and financial supporter of charities and non-profit organizations.

-eric, stout atheist-

[/ QUOTE ]

Relax, man, he's pretty much joking. Besides, to compare other denominations' molestation incidents with the widespread coverups of the Church (which may be just due to its size) is ludicrous. But that's food for another topic.

[/ QUOTE ]

ehh, sorry I tend to jump off sometimes about my former church because it always gets such a bad rap.

hypocrite that I am, I make priests jokes sometimes.
Old 10-19-2005, 03:31 PM

Default Re: None of the Above

[ QUOTE ]
I have converted several people into seeing the the USA would be better off with legalized pot. All movements take time to germinate. Just writing a letter to a congressman will do NOTHING unless there are enough pro-pot voters to make a politician listen. If you just send a letter it will be filed away and nothing will happen because most policians believe supporting legal pot will be political suicide. Persuading people is the key. ESPECIALLY your typically republican church-goer. I found the best way is to organize debates between pro-pot vs the anti-pot crowd. Most people are surprised when the realize there is a lot of advantages to legalizing pot.

[/ QUOTE ]

That is so cynical. I think everybody thinks that writing a letter doesn't mean anything. I know a couple of Congress people and they consider 25 letters about something an important development to look at. It can only help by writing the letters. I write the president and legislature on a weekly basis and I think it has an effect. Mostly on Gun Rights issues and I joined a couple of PACs with membership just in the thousands. It is really effective, at least in VA. I think political debates in college campuses are one of the best was to get things done.

BTW, I'm your semi-republican (libertarian-leaning) avid churchgoer who believes in legalized pot.

-Gryph
Old 10-19-2005, 03:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I haven't done anything to legalize pot, murder, rape, theft, etc.

Sorry if I've let you down. [img]/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Have you donated to the catholic church?

[/ QUOTE ]

No, I'm not a member.

Do you pay school taxes?

(there are more cases of rape and pedophilia by teachers/coaches/employees in the public schools than in the Catholic Church - look up the statistics)

[/ QUOTE ]

Per teacher and with unwilling participants? I cry foul. Show me the stats, but I imagine it's hard to account for older teens who have affairs with teachers, since it's often still pedophilia, but there are clear differences.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, you like to bash groups perceived as conservative (the church) but you object when a liberal type institution (your typical public school) is exposed as failing.

Remember, the NEA doesn't act for the benefit of our kids, they act for the benefit of their union members. Should it surprise anyone that there are so many student victims in a world that puts their education and their safety as such a low priority?
Old 10-19-2005, 03:50 PM

It also doesnt help that teachers are paid less than damn near everyone... some of our brightest stars coming out of college take one look at a teacher's paycheck and quickly walk the other way.
Old 10-19-2005, 03:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[censored] you. goddamn rape by holy men happens just as much in the other denominations, but it's only when a catholic priest does it that it makes news.

[/ QUOTE ]

But do other denominations systematically cover up, deny, and re-assign the guilty to fresh new congregations to begin anew?

The act itself, while dispicable, happens everywhere. The way the institution dealt with it is what is truly disgusting.

I really did not intend to hijack this thread -- but B&P tried to equate pot usage with murder, rape and other _real_ crimes.
Old 10-19-2005, 04:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I haven't done anything to legalize pot, murder, rape, theft, etc.

Sorry if I've let you down. [img]/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Have you donated to the catholic church?

[/ QUOTE ]

No, I'm not a member.

Do you pay school taxes?

(there are more cases of rape and pedophilia by teachers/coaches/employees in the public schools than in the Catholic Church - look up the statistics)

[/ QUOTE ]

Per teacher and with unwilling participants? I cry foul. Show me the stats, but I imagine it's hard to account for older teens who have affairs with teachers, since it's often still pedophilia, but there are clear differences.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, you like to bash groups perceived as conservative (the church) but you object when a liberal type institution (your typical public school) is exposed as failing.

Remember, the NEA doesn't act for the benefit of our kids, they act for the benefit of their union members. Should it surprise anyone that there are so many student victims in a world that puts their education and their safety as such a low priority?

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't bash conservative institutions without merit, and I wasn't defending public schools in general, I was asking for statistics, which you never gave. I'll chalk it up to you being unable to understand the question.