Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-18-2005, 08:58 AM

Default Re: Taxi Driver, Matchstick Men, East of Eden, or other?

I think you are being overly defensive if you think that someone saying you don't get something defines them as a dick. Being a dick requires more than suggesting your understanding of something might be flawed. And I think if you had a better understanding of the movie, you would both like it better and not be bored with it.

I'm not going to go into an elaborate or even a minimal comparison between Caulfield and Bickle because I think there are clear parallels that it's more fun to think about yourself than to get spoonfed.
Old 10-18-2005, 09:00 AM

[ QUOTE ]

I'm not going to go into an elaborate or even a minimal comparison between Caulfield and Bickle.

[/ QUOTE ]

Good. I wont have to waste time absolutely destroying your comparison.
Old 10-18-2005, 09:27 AM

Not to hijack the thread but this:
[ QUOTE ]
I generally avoid Nic Cage when I can.

[/ QUOTE ] is just plain bizarre. We otherwise seem to be identical Vibes...what did littleNikky do to make you sad? Was it the Rock? Was it Dumbo Drop? He wasn't in that!

NC is a truly great actor who went on a money-grubbing action tear. Seriously, just Wild At Heart and Adaptation alone make up for any of his other sins...plus...He's a Copolla!

(Edit: Matchstick Men, however, is kindof a turd. See Taxi Driver.)
Old 10-18-2005, 09:36 AM

I can't believe all of the recommendations for Matchstick Men. It is an okay movie, but you have to be retarted or a moran not to see the twist coming a mile away. Taxi Driver is one of those touchstone films that you must experience in your lifetime.
Old 10-18-2005, 09:36 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
You think Taxi Driver is boring, which is amazing and just wrong. I don't think you "get" the movie, and it sounds like you don't get where I'm going with the comparison, either.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think you are being a dick telling me that I didn't "get" Taxi Driver. Maybe it didn't have the same effect on me that it did on you, but that doesn't mean that I didn't understand what the film was trying to express.

The comparison of Holden to Travis Bickle is completely absurd. How did you come to that conclusion?

[/ QUOTE ]

It's really not absurd at all. There's a reason John Hinkley Jr had multiple copies of Catcher In the Rye and was obssessed with the Jodie Foster character.
Old 10-18-2005, 09:37 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

I'm not going to go into an elaborate or even a minimal comparison between Caulfield and Bickle.

[/ QUOTE ]

Good. I wont have to waste time absolutely destroying your comparison.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, you certainly showed me!
Old 10-18-2005, 09:45 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
taxi driver is boring. go with matchstick men.

[/ QUOTE ]

Shouldn't you have been logged in as bad advice guy when you posted this?

Taxi Driver's a fantastic movie. I actually haven't seen Matchstick Men, I generally avoid Nic Cage when I can. East of Eden is the old James Dean movie? I've never seen it but it's supposed to be a classic. I say either Taxi Driver or East of Eden.

[/ QUOTE ]

OP did say he might not be 'in the mood' for Taxi Driver, which is a legit statement to me. Kind of heavy fare if you just want to kick back for a couple hours. MM would be perfect in this case. Unless you hate Nic Cage of course.
Old 10-18-2005, 09:48 AM

If it is the James Dean East of Eden then watch it. There are too few opportunities to see James Dean.
Old 10-18-2005, 09:49 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Not to hijack the thread but this:
[ QUOTE ]
I generally avoid Nic Cage when I can.

[/ QUOTE ] is just plain bizarre. We otherwise seem to be identical Vibes...what did littleNikky do to make you sad? Was it the Rock? Was it Dumbo Drop? He wasn't in that!

NC is a truly great actor who went on a money-grubbing action tear. Seriously, just Wild At Heart and Adaptation alone make up for any of his other sins...plus...He's a Copolla!

(Edit: Matchstick Men, however, is kindof a turd. See Taxi Driver.)

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, partly because I really want to like Raising Arizona, but I can't stand him in it. One of the first movies I saw him in was Peggy Sue Got Married, and he was terrible in that, chewing the scenery constantly (I really wasn't wild about the movie anyway). The Rock was really bad. I saw Face/Off because of the John Woo, and couldn't stand him in that. Couldn't stand him in 8MM. In Adaptation I liked him as the stupid brother but couldn't stand the smart one. I didn't see Wild At Heart. I don't know, just something about him rubs me the wrong way.
Old 10-18-2005, 09:51 AM

[ QUOTE ]
NC is a truly great actor...

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm wondering if my sarcasm meter is broken. [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]