Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-18-2005, 05:11 PM

Default Re: More On the Definition of Wronging Someone

This is simply the "definition" that I think we should all use for simplicities sake so we can all be on the same page when we have debates. I don't claim that my definition is the "right" one. (Feel better now Not Ready?)
Old 10-18-2005, 05:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]

(Feel better now Not Ready?)

[/ QUOTE ]

My question concerned more the source than the content.
Old 10-18-2005, 08:56 PM

I agree with this stance and also agree that this is the way people should be judged.

Despite my disbelief in the Bible, I think the golden rule is pretty solid if the golden rule means what Sklansky describes. If it takes it a step further and says that I should give half of my money to my neighbor who is broke, then I think that's too much to expect.
Old 10-18-2005, 11:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Despite my disbelief in the Bible, I think the golden rule is pretty solid if the golden rule means what Sklansky describes.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sklansky's version (and lots of other great thinkers as well) is actually better than the Bible version (in my humble opinion). The Bible says: "Do unto others, as you would have them do unto you." DS's version is: "Do unto others as they would have you do unto them."
Old 10-19-2005, 12:04 AM

this is even worse: a 'definition' of 'wronging' someone. i would like sir sklansky to agree that i was conducting a high-level poker discussion w/ him when i said: 'i know you talk about odds and stuff all the time but just think of what i did as a pretty good bet". now we will define a 'pretty good bet', and get everyone's input. all, of course, taking it quite seriously. any naked emperors around...............b