Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-14-2005, 03:39 PM

Default Re: $15+1 turbo - AKo vs raise and call

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
DJ, the reason that AK is regarded as highly as AA-QQ here is because if you push here with 22 and you get called by JJ you're a 4 to 1 dog. If you get called when holding AK against JJ you're a small dog and the extra money in the pot makes up for that small underdog that you are.

[/ QUOTE ]

You bring up a very good point and I understand and agree that AK has the potential to become a great hand, but... your still a dog. Don't mistake me here I am not saying I will push 22 here... In fact the only hands I would push in this specific example are AA-QQ. JJ or less I am folding. I just hate pushing AK and risking my tourney life a draw... I know it will hit sometimes, but I just hate losing with it... when I could have folded and still been in the game in good shape... FWIW, I have had some long losing streaks w/ AK...

[/ QUOTE ]

You would honestly fold JJ here???

And im reallt getting sick of all this OMG AK IS TEH TRASH IT IS DRAWING HAND!!!

AK is a premium hand. It can be folded preflop it certain specific situations.

This isnt one of them.
Old 10-14-2005, 04:29 PM

What I posted what was I was thinkig as I was reading the post. The OP gave no reads, and no tendencies of either player already acting in front of them, nor any texture of the table.

All too often, more than a fair share of posters on these forums over-dramatize the value of AK. I have pushed in similar situations with AK before and prolly will do so many more times.

With no reads, the OP's chip stack, and the blind level being what they are, there can be other situations to get chips into the pot. Also, given the loose nature of $15/1 SNG players, do you wanna put all your chips into the pot not really knowing how players act and their tendencies?

I also stated in my original reply that I thought it was close to pushing/folding with calling being the worst of 3 options. Did you fail to read that, as well?

Poker is a game of context. It is impossible to say if you were sitting there or I was sitting there at the table playing we would definately fold or definately push as we may have differing reasons for doing either play and with no reads in this situation, when I read the OP, I would fold given the vagueness of the post.
Old 10-14-2005, 04:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
What I posted what was I was thinkig as I was reading the post. The OP gave no reads, and no tendencies of either player already acting in front of them, nor any texture of the table.

All too often, more than a fair share of posters on these forums over-dramatize the value of AK. I have pushed in similar situations with AK before and prolly will do so many more times.

With no reads, the OP's chip stack, and the blind level being what they are, there can be other situations to get chips into the pot. Also, given the loose nature of $15/1 SNG players, do you wanna put all your chips into the pot not really knowing how players act and their tendencies?

I also stated in my original reply that I thought it was close to pushing/folding with calling being the worst of 3 options. Did you fail to read that, as well?

Poker is a game of context. It is impossible to say if you were sitting there or I was sitting there at the table playing we would definately fold or definately push as we may have differing reasons for doing either play and with no reads in this situation, when I read the OP, I would fold given the vagueness of the post.

[/ QUOTE ]

You are not getting any info here by calling at this buyin...This isnt 10/20 nl. In a low level SNG you have to find the edges when you can and keep on pounding them over time. This push is the most +EV option here, followed, far behind by folding. (Folding 2nd because you will not find a larger edge normally throughout the rest of this game).

Wasnt attacking you, just your weak-tightness.