Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Televised Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-12-2005, 12:15 AM

Default Re: DN, Im sorry

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Even the best player in the world who's playing excellent can't overcome cold decks, bad beats, missed draws, and draw outs like every hand.

[/ QUOTE ]

I could. It's not about the cards when you play at the level that I play. It's all about making moves where I come from. Here's an example from this year's World Series day 1.

I'm been running bad, like you said, cold cards, missed draws, bad beats, so I decide to make my own luck. [img]/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]

Blinds 50-100

AC has 6800

Villian has 12500

Villian (an aggressive blind raper) opens in the CO for 400 and it folds to me in the BB with J [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 3 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] and I call.

(850)
FLOP: --- 9 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 7 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] K [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

I check, villian bets 600, I call.

That's right, I call with nothing intending to make a move at the pot on the river.

(2050)
TURN-- 9 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 7 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] K [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 6 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

I check, villian checks.

Perfect, just what I was expecting him to do after his failed continuation bet. But then, I end up suprising even myself by my river play. I intended to bet any river card.

(2050)
RIVER --- 9 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 7 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] K [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 6 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] K [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

I check , that's right, I checked! I knew there was no way this over aggressive donkey could resist not betting with nothing after witnessing two consecutive checks.

Donk bets 2000, I push...... with my last 2200.

He lays down.

Now that's what I call making a move. [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]
you had the best hand
Old 10-12-2005, 12:16 AM

It's not the point whether I had the best hand or not. It's that I extracted the maximum by inducing bluffs with nothing.
Old 10-12-2005, 12:22 AM

[ QUOTE ]
The first one is the only fold that was somewhat impressive, and even that is not that tough.

[/ QUOTE ]

and how did you finish in this year's WSOP again?
Old 10-12-2005, 01:43 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
The first one is the only fold that was somewhat impressive, and even that is not that tough.

[/ QUOTE ]

and how did you finish in this year's WSOP again?

[/ QUOTE ]

I simply don't see how calling a play easy is only possible if I did well in the WSOP. The logic of a hand is independent of one's wealth/success at tourneys and I'm amazed that after 1100+ posts you still haven't figured out the basic point that somebody can assess a DN play without being better than him.
Old 10-12-2005, 01:48 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I have been on here trashing DN and saying he fell off. From what I have just watched in the WSOP, I would like to apologize to his dog, and to him.

Wow... that's good poker.

oh, and if anyone ever tells me "I dont deserve this downswing" I will flip them the bird and point them to this episode.

NH DN

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree...that was a clinic in how to play great poker.
Old 10-12-2005, 01:50 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Utterly unbelievable laydowns, amazing calls.

[/ QUOTE ]

Folding a straight against a player on a paired board with a flush out there! BRILLIANT!

Folding bottom pair of 3s with top kicker. Jesus, this guy's amazing.

Don't even get me started on folding AK unimproved on a monotone board of unders, I think I'll run out of hyperbole.

[/ QUOTE ]

you're a gomer.
Old 10-12-2005, 01:52 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Folding a straight against a player on a paired board with a flush out there! BRILLIANT!

Don't even get me started on folding AK unimproved on a monotone board of unders, I think I'll run out of hyperbole.

[/ QUOTE ]

It wasn't the folds specifically, but how he played the hands, every hand they showed i liked how he played and i think he lost the minimun. They werent as easy as you say, it was impressive that he was still around after those.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's fair, but could you explain? I didn't think he played any hands that uniquely. As for the folds, they ARE as easy as I said. the first one was tough but not spectacular and the other two basically involved folding absolutely nothing.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think it was the folds per se, it was more how he didn't panic when he got short-stacked, and push with some of those great draws he had. He waited it out, didn't get crazy and played a very good game. If you don't see that, I repeat - you're a gomer.

[img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
Old 10-12-2005, 02:05 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

It wasn't the folds specifically, but how he played the hands, every hand they showed i liked how he played and i think he lost the minimun. They werent as easy as you say, it was impressive that he was still around after those.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's fair, but could you explain? I didn't think he played any hands that uniquely. As for the folds, they ARE as easy as I said. the first one was tough but not spectacular and the other two basically involved folding absolutely nothing.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think it was the folds per se, it was more how he didn't panic when he got short-stacked, and push with some of those great draws he had. He waited it out, didn't get crazy and played a very good game. If you don't see that, I repeat - you're a gomer.

[img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

I never contended he didn't play well, and I'll grant what you said. Keep in mind the original statement I quoted was that he was making "utterly unbelievable laydowns"-I still think this is ridiculous but maybe in my going overboard in mocking the person's hyperbole regarding the laydowns I came across as disparaging Negreanu, which I didn't intend to do.
Old 10-12-2005, 02:16 AM

I am not sure calling your money off on draws when you are shortstacked and the board is paired in one spot is "great poker" seems to me like he was playing entirely dependent on hitting his hands. If this is the greatest poker player in the world he sure is at the mercy of hitting his hands.
Old 10-12-2005, 02:18 AM

[ QUOTE ]
seems to me like he was playing entirely dependent on hitting his hands.

[/ QUOTE ]

ok, what about Farha hitting his draw on DN, or the big firefighter hitting his 5 outer.