Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 10-10-2005, 12:07 PM

Default Can I ever lay this down or do I have to pay off?

Live 9-handed NL game. Blinds 5/5. Table has been extremely loose preflop, tightening up after the flop.

I'm in one of the blinds and pick up A [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]K [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]. Every single player limps to me(!). I raise to 60 and get called by one EP player and one MP player.

EP player has been even more loose than the rest of the table, playing almost any two cards. MP plays pretty solid poker, and he would not call this kind of raise with nothing or a hand that is easily dominated.

My own table image is tight, maybe even very tight, since I haven't played many hands and every hand I have shown down has been very good. For example just a couple of hands ago I busted a guy with JJ when my 33 hit a set on the flop.

So, three players to the flop of K [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]8 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]4 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]. Bingo!

Pot size 210. I bet out 200. EP player folds and MP player raises all-in for 490 without even thinking about it. WTF?

So, the pot is 900 and it costs me only 290 more to call. More than 3:1 pot odds, which is great! On the other hand, I'm almost sure that Villain has a hand that can beat TPTK.

Can I ever lay this down or do I just have to pay him off if he has me beat?

As a related question: If you think I should call this every time, how big would villain's raise have to be to make me seriously consider a fold (My stack is much bigger than Villain's)?