Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-10-2005, 02:56 PM

Default Re: New Jetta anyone?

does anyone have any impressions on the honda element?
Old 10-10-2005, 03:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I need an affordable car.

[/ QUOTE ]
How much is this Jetta? It's been a little while since I've actually looked at VWs seriously, but when I did a couple years ago, they were overpriced and not a good value at all.

[/ QUOTE ]

The "2.5" (I'm not sure why they call it that, since even the Value Edition is a 2.5L I-5) is running around $20k base. But, there is a lease deal for college graduates that's $0 due at signing, $269/month for 36 months (12k miles/year).

The real direct competitor to this car right now is the Volvo S40, which is something like $22-23k base.
Old 10-10-2005, 03:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I need an affordable car.

[/ QUOTE ]
How much is this Jetta? It's been a little while since I've actually looked at VWs seriously, but when I did a couple years ago, they were overpriced and not a good value at all.

[/ QUOTE ]

The "2.5" (I'm not sure why they call it that, since even the Value Edition is a 2.5L I-5) is running around $20k base. But, there is a lease deal for college graduates that's $0 due at signing, $269/month for 36 months (12k miles/year).

The real direct competitor to this car right now is the Volvo S40, which is something like $22-23k base.

[/ QUOTE ]
This is the base model Jetta? I wouldn't pay $20k for a base Jetta and something tells me $269/mo. isn't a good deal on a lease, either. Leases are a lot more difficult to make a good judgement on value precisely, so chances are you're going to get hosed on it because they know this just as well as (better than) the consumer does.

Do you have an aversion to Japanese cars? I'd look for something in the $16k-$20k range from Subaru, Honda, and Toyota. You already said you don't like the Mazda 3, so I guess that's off the list. The Subaru Impreza 2.5 is a highly underrated car with an MSRP starting at $18k. If you live somewhere with inclement weather, the all-wheel drive is a huge plus. It also handles very well and has a pretty good 173hp boxer engine (I like boxers). Hondas are always a solid value - you wouldn't be going wrong with an Accord or a Civic and they're both in your price range.
Old 10-10-2005, 03:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
does anyone have any impressions on the honda element?

[/ QUOTE ]

*vomits*
Old 10-10-2005, 03:19 PM

Just spend the extra $$$ and go for an Audi A4.
Old 10-10-2005, 03:20 PM

Also, when I graduated from school a few years ago, I found that almost all the car companies had some sort of college grad or new buyer incentive program, even if it wasn't aggressively advertised. I'd check it out everywhere you're interested in if I were you.
Old 10-10-2005, 03:21 PM

I don't understand how you can reconcile "I need an affordable car" with leasing a brand-new car.
Old 10-10-2005, 03:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't understand how you can reconcile "I need an affordable car" with leasing a brand-new car.

[/ QUOTE ]
Yeah, I just looked past this and assumed he was just really stuck on getting a new car. New cars are a terrible investment, but I don't see anything wrong with a kid treating himself to a new car as a reward/treat when he gets out of school and into a job (as long as he can afford it).
Old 10-10-2005, 03:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Yeah, I just looked past this and assumed he was just really stuck on getting a new car. New cars are a terrible investment, but I don't see anything wrong with a kid treating himself to a new car as a reward/treat when he gets out of school and into a job (as long as he can afford it).

[/ QUOTE ]
Isn't OP a waiter?
Old 10-10-2005, 03:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
This is the base model Jetta? I wouldn't pay $20k for a base Jetta and something tells me $269/mo. isn't a good deal on a lease, either.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, VW actually breaks up the Jetta line up into four categories: Value Edition, 2.5, TDI, GLI.

The $20k car I was referring to was the base model 2.5, which has things like ESP, an Audi-ish MFD on the dash, etc. It also comes with actual rims instead of hubcaps. The Value Edition (which I probably will end up with due to affordability) has the same engine as the 2.5 (again, the 2.5L inline-5), but doesn't have that MFD, has hubcaps, and only comes in cloth seats. The Value Edition is the *real* base model car, which as I've said, is in the high $17ks.

[ QUOTE ]
Leases are a lot more difficult to make a good judgement on value precisely, so chances are you're going to get hosed on it because they know this just as well as (better than) the consumer does.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, I did sell cars for a while, so dealing with a dealership is not a difficult thing for me. I'm quite knowledgable of (and have personally used) many of the techniques used to "hose" people. At any rate, as long as the lease comfortably fits my budget and driving style, I won't be getting ripped off.

[ QUOTE ]
Do you have an aversion to Japanese cars?

[/ QUOTE ]

Not at all. I've driven a Toyota for almost 7 years now. If I had my first pick, I'd probably end up in the Scion tC. The only issue with that car is that Toyota Financial doesn't have the same college graduate program that Volkswagen does.

[ QUOTE ]
The Subaru Impreza 2.5 is a highly underrated car with an MSRP starting at $18k.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'll have a look at that. At the same time, I hated how the WRX drove, so we'll see.