Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-13-2002, 08:33 PM

Default Re: main point

I agree that the spectre of Dershowitz' suggestion is appalling if applied to US citizens.

However I rather do think that a few key al Qaeda leaders, if captured, should be forced to reveal a list of key associates and whatever future attack plans they may be privy to by any means necessary. In other words in extreme cases like this where the safety and lives of our people are at serious risk, I say make the bastards talk so we can hopefully prevent the next attack.
Old 02-13-2002, 08:38 PM

Default Ha\'am and Buber

Andy,

Altough never a member of Brith Shalom Buber was very much an ally in the quest for a bi-national state.

It should also be noted that people such as Ahad Ha'am (nee Asher Ginsburg), worked within Zionist organizations (Chibbath Zion and B'nai Moshe were two of their groups) in the late 19th and early 20th centuries to oppose what they termed "political Zionism" in favor of a more humanistic approach that also gave recognition to the presence of Palestinians in the homeland they sought. Ha'am, for one, never thought Jewish problems could be solved simply by relocation, primarily because (being from the Pale) he was very aware that most would never live in Israel. He preferred to focus on creating a cultural center that would revive Judaism. Chaim Weizmann was one of his main followers, as was Buber. Ha'am wrote as early as 1892: "We should certainly be able to learn from our past and see how careful we must be not to raise the anger of the inhabitants of the land against ourselves through discreditable actions". Buber stated years later "Our claim is so mixed up with the furthering of England's Mandate over Palestine that we pass in Europe and Asia as the handyman of British Imperialism..." Two very strong statements from men who gaves their lives to the study and promotion of Judaism in Europe and the Middle East.

As Buber himself said "What it [Jewish State] becomes depends on those who make it". For me, it is one of the great tragedies of history that those who ended up inheriting this task chose to deviate from the plans laid out by Ha'am, Buber and Brith Shalom (which, notably, included Jews and Palestinians in its membership), instead opting to follow a path wrought with what appears to be a desire to conquer and subjugate the people who have inhabited that land for centuries.
Old 02-13-2002, 08:59 PM

the suggestion was broad and directly addressed 5th amendment, etc.

what about a suspected al Qaeda who emigrated here and is now a US citizen.

ive seen on the news that one of the reasons for the cuban prison is that its not on US soil so certain civil protections dont apply, or something like that.

brad
Old 02-13-2002, 10:02 PM

I don't think that U.S. policy toward Israel and the Palestinians results from "jewish influence" over the U.S. government. Jews remain a small minority in the U.S., outnumbered even by muslims. Despite a well organized pro-Israel lobby, it's influence cannot account for force of U.S. commitment to Israel.

How many Arabs in Congress, Chris? How many Arabs own televison stations, movie production companies, newspapers, advertising agencies, recording studios?

The influence of the Jewish vote in this country far exceeds the number of Jews. Why? We have the money and we know how to use it.

As for your continual denunciation of Israeli tactics against those sworn to Israel's destruction, I say it's about time. And now, with the reticence of the US to hold Israel back the palestinians will be annihilated unless they decide they would rather be alive and accept Israel.

Israel has no qualms about killing every single Arab in the region. Pretty soon, maybe another fifty years the Arabs will get used to the fact that Israel is something they will have to tolerate. They'll create a homeland for the Palestinians and there will be an uneasy peace with many minor incidents.

It's going to happen and guess who it's up to?

Old 02-13-2002, 10:23 PM

Only non-US citizens who are al-Qaeda leaders...and not even all of them.

By the way this is the first I've heard of Dershowitz's suggestion and I consider it troublesome and inappropriate for the standard criminal justice system, and especially so for purposes of making people talk for merely criminal trial or civil purposes.

My suggestion applies only to the most dangerous foreign elements who have plans to attack and destroy us. In fighting against them, I feel that we have to do whatever is necessary in order to defend ourselves from future attacks, and this includes gathering intelligence about future planned attacks as well as intelligence regarding other key operatives, resources, locations, contacts and methods.
Old 02-13-2002, 10:28 PM

"Why? We have the money and we know how to use it."

It's a big economy with a lot of powerful actors. The Jewish influence explains the lobby, but not the policy.

"How many Arabs in Congress, Chris? How many Arabs own televison stations, movie production companies, newspapers, advertising agencies, recording studios?"

How many right-wing Latin American dictators in Congress? How many Indonesians and Turks or, up through the first Bush administration, South Africans? I understand that domestic opponents of the South Africa dictatorship were pretty well organized too, but look how long it took for them to have any effect at all. As for the Jewish media influence, I contend it's largely mythical, and to prove that I note that Jewish and non-Jewish media outlets alike say pretty much the same thing, and tend to make the same assumptions about the fundamental decency and necessity of U.S. foreign policy in every corner of the globe, not just the Middle East. Further, many Jewish supporters of Israel are none to keen about aid to Saudi Arabia, such as when Reagan gave them AWACS. Look how much influence they have there.

The range of goyim attitudes about Israel and it's occupation ranges from fanatic chauvinism and racism to misgivings and outright resentment. Jewish attitudes too.

"It's going to happen and guess who it's up to?"

Finally, a question with an easy answer. It's up to everyone.

Old 02-13-2002, 10:33 PM

Default Re: That\'s NOT Terrorism, Chris

He's mentally disturbed. He blames the Jews for eveything. He believes the Palestinians have a right to use violence, and that the Jews don't.

He's a Nazi.
Old 02-13-2002, 10:35 PM

It's Alger's form of Zionist conspiracy. he believes that it's a conspiracy to take over the world. He's Nazi.
Old 02-13-2002, 10:39 PM

Default Re: The IDF at work \"fighting terrorism\"

No, ALger is Nazi. If you wish harsh demonstrations of his evile hatred of Jews then you can get it. He does believe that the US is run by organized criminals. He does believe in a world Zionist conspiracy to take over the world.

He dosn't believe in Israel's right to exist.

Alger is a Nazi. If you can't see that, then maybe you are a Nazi also.
Old 02-13-2002, 10:48 PM

Default Re: That\'s NOT Terrorism, Chris

You are a Nazi that believes in 1. a zionist conspiracy to rule Amerca, 2. You blame the Jews for their own murder.

Get Real, move to the Middle East and become the person that you want to be. Americans aren't safe with wanna be terrorists like you on our streets. The Homleand Defense Department should pick you up and send you to Guantanamo for interrogation. I'm sure that you have financially contributed to terrorist organizations.