Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-04-2005, 12:56 PM

Location: duffman is thrusting in the direction of the problem (mets are 9-13, currently on a 1 game winning streak)
Default Re: Sexy, by PokerBob\'s definition

people are sexying for the sake of sexying. you need to ahve a good reason to sexy or you shouldn't do it. the reasoning shouldn't be "man I could really own him with a checkraise right now." it should involve having an idea of his range of hands and the type of player he is.

in this case the chances are he has A high,b ut even if he has 99 or something, he's not a sure bet to bet.
Old 10-04-2005, 12:58 PM

I'm sexying for the sake of learning when to sexy, and posting to learn when I'm wrong. even though betting is the default I have to learn somehow, especially when I think I'm right as I did here.
Old 10-04-2005, 01:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
the reasoning shouldn't be "man I could really own him with a checkraise right now."

[/ QUOTE ]

BLASPHEMY!
Old 10-04-2005, 02:14 PM

Location: duffman is thrusting in the direction of the problem (mets are 9-13, currently on a 1 game winning streak)

[ QUOTE ]
I'm sexying for the sake of learning when to sexy, and posting to learn when I'm wrong. even though betting is the default I have to learn somehow, especially when I think I'm right as I did here.

[/ QUOTE ]

my post wasn't directed at you, as it was toward everyone who posts these, since I think consensus is they're wrong about 95% of the time. the reason I say you/everyone is sexying for the sake of sexying is because I do it, and I get the feeling that the collective you is doing the same thing. make your default to always bet and if circumstances call for a c/r then do it. I sometimes really just feel like check-raising someone and I do it even though it causes me to cring right after I hit the check butotn.
Old 10-04-2005, 02:21 PM

yeah I feel you, s'all good.

ok, strategy question. I bet, he raises. I gotta three bet, right,since he probably pays off with a Q?
Old 10-04-2005, 02:36 PM

it would be so strange for him to wait for the river to raise there. I don't think it's an easy raise at all because QQ and 88 also beat you. if he'll raise AQ-Q9, 88, QQ, or A4, 42 hands lose and 10 beat you. you need to be good 2/3 of the time to raise and he's a lot less likely to slowplay a Q like that, so yeah, it's close
Old 10-04-2005, 02:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
hmm, interesting. do you think he has a lot of hands that call the turn but don't bet the river? how often, as a rough estimate, does A high bet?

[/ QUOTE ]

5%
Old 10-04-2005, 03:06 PM

i really don't understand the point of the river checkraise to be honest. and why would you think someone would value-bet their ace high here? are people really doing that in ur games? i think you'll probably get a value bet from 99-JJ, and there's a small chance ur up against a queen, but those times definitely don't outweigh the times you lose a bet against small pocket pairs or ace high IMO.