Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Are you a robotic player?
Yes, I multitable without reads and just play 6 20.69%
Maybe, I multitable, but I incorporate reads and think a bit before acting 18 62.07%
Not really, I don't like to play a lot of tables at once, and really think about my reads before acting 4 13.79%
I take twenty seconds before choosing anything and the people at my table say ZZZZZZZZZZ all the time and are generally aggravated 1 3.45%
Voters: 29. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-01-2005, 12:01 AM

Default Re: A Poll: Abortion and the Death Penalty

You each have your own definition of when life begins.

Neither of you is going to change your opinion.

The debate will never end because of exactly the above. Until everyone agrees as to the beginning of life, we'll have exactly the disagreement you are each stating.
Old 10-01-2005, 12:09 AM

Of course there is already a medically accepted beginning of life, but we'll ignore that fact for the convenience of supporting our own beliefs.
Old 10-01-2005, 12:23 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Of course there is already a medically accepted beginning of life, but we'll ignore that fact for the convenience of supporting our own beliefs.

[/ QUOTE ]

No one, that I've noticed, has suggested ignoring the opinions of a portion of the medical/scientific community. There are those who don't put 100% of their beliefs in the hands of doctors. All doctors don't totally accept the premise of their colleagues.

A higher power, for many, is part of the equation/question. If you believe in creationism you think one way. If you totally accept evolution, you believe another.

And, there are those who believe a higher power is involved in the evolution process.

Yes, it's common practice for some people to totally disregard the other side's opinions/thoughts. Yes, that makes them more comfortable with their own feelings/beliefs/thoughts.
Old 10-01-2005, 12:50 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]Who was trying to change anyone's opinions?

And why are you repeating this same stupidly obvious crap?

Differing opinions on when life begins is the cause of the abortion divide? Gee, you two should write a book.
Old 10-01-2005, 12:53 AM

meh
Old 10-01-2005, 01:10 AM

No seriously, think about writing a book. I really think you're on to something.
Old 10-01-2005, 02:00 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]Who was trying to change anyone's opinions?

And why are you repeating this same stupidly obvious crap?

Differing opinions on when life begins is the cause of the abortion divide? Gee, you two should write a book.

[/ QUOTE ]

This has me puzzled. Seriously, where exactly did you read that I said, or even suggested, anyone was trying to change someone's opinion? One of us could use a remedial reading class.

To which "obvious crap" are you referring?

Duh, you seem to be the one having a problem understanding the divide. Or, maybe you're just not accepting it?

I'm not sure I could write a book you could read objectively. Even if I included a box of crayons.

[img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 10-01-2005, 03:02 AM

[ QUOTE ]
To which "obvious crap" are you referring?

[/ QUOTE ]The same obvious crap I've defined twice already.

Everyone knows that it is differing opinions on when life begins that causes the abortion divide. The two of you act like it's some revelation that you need to school the rest of us on. You win the "no [censored]" award.
Old 10-01-2005, 03:18 AM

Default The poll misses an important nuance

I am opposed to the death penalty and am, personally, opposed to abortions (I do think that an abortion is usually a bad choice for all and does not meet my personal moral threshhold) but I am pro-choice in that, IMO, there is more harm than good in making abortions illegal.
Old 10-01-2005, 03:38 AM

I am against the death penalty and for allowing abortions. I do not feel that it is contradictory.

I do not like the death penalty for a couple of reasons. First, it is often impossible to determine guilt 100%. I also believe jail for life is a far worse punishment than getting put to death. Not to mention, aren't there significant costs involved with executions? I would much rather see the prison system in this country improved before spending money on executions.

As for abortions, I think a woman should be able to choose. Making abortions in this country illegal would just make it more dangerous for those who want to get one done. It'll cut down on the rates, but they won't be eliminated. I had a great-grandma who got an illegal abortion during the Depression. She couldn't get one otherwise, and couldn't afford to raise another child, so she did what she judged to be best for herself and the rest of her family. I would much rather see a procedure done like that by doctors and trained professionals.

Feel free to point out flaws in this thinking, and I'll try to address them. Hell, I might even rethink my own standings.