Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-29-2005, 11:14 PM

Default Re: 9Ts UTG

[ QUOTE ]
I just looked, I´ve raised it half the time I´ve gotten it, which means 6/12 in a run of 35K hands, so there is no way this can be a leak and tbh, I dont raise it for deception, I think it´s a pos EV play when I do and I´d prolly open more often with it in 5/10 or lower as people play worse.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why not limp with it on tables where you think it's +EV to play it UTG? Raising clears some of the crap they play like T8o, 79s, etc and leaves you with Q9s, ATo etc.
Old 09-29-2005, 11:16 PM

Adding or removing a few suited hands UTG will change your vpip very little.
Old 09-29-2005, 11:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I just looked, I´ve raised it half the time I´ve gotten it, which means 6/12 in a run of 35K hands, so there is no way this can be a leak and tbh, I dont raise it for deception, I think it´s a pos EV play when I do and I´d prolly open more often with it in 5/10 or lower as people play worse.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why not limp with it on tables where you think it's +EV to play it UTG? Raising clears some of the crap they play like T8o, 79s, etc and leaves you with Q9s, ATo etc.

[/ QUOTE ]

Initiative is something you seem to undervalue in these games. And before you accuse me of not knowing what they call down with, remember that I did play 35k of 1/2 6max and collectively about 25-30k of 2/4 and 3/6 6max as well.

Rob
Old 09-29-2005, 11:21 PM

I think in a 1/2 game this is a leak. There aren't enough thinking opponents and wtf do you do on the flop when 5 people called you...bet out?
Old 09-29-2005, 11:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I just looked, I´ve raised it half the time I´ve gotten it.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm, in reality, looser / more aggressive than I think I am. I looked at my 5/10 db and raised it the majority of the time (limping UTG once, and folding a few times, filtering for UTG 6-handed). At 10/20 I raised it both times I've had it UTG at a 6-handed table over a small sample.

Edit: I looked at JTs since I was triggered to do so by The Metetron's post and Trix's post. For T9s, I came in 18/44 times, always for a raise.
Old 09-29-2005, 11:23 PM

If everyone are horrible, then limping is better, but usually there may be a guy or two who can fold better hands if you raise and plays decently postflop. You dont want to let him in, when it costs very little to raise. Your equity is usually not that bad vs the guys who coldcall alot.

It also gives you the ininiative which is nice, though it doesn´t mean you should try to win every pot.

Sometimes raising will also win you the blinds right there or let you play with position.

Also, I dont like the shania of just limping with these kinds of hands if there is someone behind who is good enough to exploit it.
Old 09-29-2005, 11:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think in a 1/2 game this is a leak. There aren't enough thinking opponents and wtf do you do on the flop when 5 people called you...bet out?

[/ QUOTE ]

It's been a winning play for me through the limits. I'm actually reconsidering for the first time at 10/20, because it's only a winner in the perfect situations which haven't been coming up as often as I'd like.

Rob
Old 09-29-2005, 11:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You play poker and no, you dont spray all over when you miss completely and you have to show the best hand at the end to get the pot.

I´d raise it every time if I was guarantied that everyone would coldcall. If you lose with it in that spot, then it´s your postflop play that is lacking.
Old 09-29-2005, 11:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You play poker and no, you dont spray all over when you miss completely and you have to show the best hand at the end to get the pot.

I´d raise it every time if I was guarantied that everyone would coldcall. If you lose with it in that spot, then it´s your postflop play that is lacking.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't lose with it in that spot because I don't play it. I will try out JTs though.
Old 09-29-2005, 11:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I just saw a 2+2 stat (27/18) raise 9Ts UTG. Is this standard for anyone and why?

[/ QUOTE ]

Probably standard for break even/marginal winner who experiences frequent 300BB downswings.