Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-30-2005, 08:48 PM

Default Re: Addon or not

This guy with fossils who used to post here said you should always add on unless you have 10% or more of the total chips in play.

Basically, when you play a rebuy, if you're not prepared to take every rebuy and add-on to which you're entitled, don't play.
Old 09-30-2005, 08:51 PM

approach a rebuy this way: you expect to spend 3x the buy-in.

Actually, you should consider that the minimum investment. You should be willing to put in about 5-7 buy-ins on the average.
Old 09-30-2005, 11:05 PM

Fnurt,
Thank you for your mathematical account, I like it!

I have two (minor) problems, though.

1) The advantage of adding on the way you describe it is solely derived from the fact that you get a discount on add-on chips. In your first example if you only receive t1,500 for your $10 the EV is reduced to $25.32 - of rather, you're getting $9.50 added EV for your $10. Not a good deal.

Now, I truly believe adding on is the right thing to do in terms of increasing EV. But obviously that can't be understood exclusively by looking at $EV as an expression of your share of the total amount of chips in play???

2) The mathematical model assumes equal skills for all players. A third reason not to add-on (or re-buy) is - if you have experienced that you skillwise is dominated!

This is not as simple as it sounds. Determining whether you're plainly unlucky or whether you're actually being out-played be better players is tricky. And even though you might be out-classed at your current table, it might not be the case generally.

Experience is probably the best guide here. If I get my butt whoopped time and again in the same tournament, my game is probably not up to snuff. If I'm having a ball playing it, or if I feel I'm learning a lot every time that's just fine. But if it's a re-buy I probably should limit the number of re-buys I intent to spend and call it the day when they're gone.

Best,

McMelchior (Johan)