Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-28-2005, 05:39 PM

Default Re: big laydown or is this standard? 2/4 NL

Check/raise sucks on this flop. It's just asking to be played back at since it's so draw heavy.
Old 09-28-2005, 05:58 PM

What do you do if you are him with AA? I don't think I would 3 bet this flop but I dunno I guess it depends which aces I held. Thoughts?
Old 09-28-2005, 06:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't think I would 3 bet this flop but I dunno I guess it depends which aces I held. Thoughts?

[/ QUOTE ]
like the A [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]. i probably wouldn't 3-bet it either way (mainly b/c i would put my opponent on a PP) b/c i would have position and know the villain would be in a tight spot to lead the turn. i think if i just call i have a better chance of extracting more chips thus being more EV.
Old 09-28-2005, 10:02 PM

You got lucky that he didn't smooth call your flop raise and push the turn. He revealed the strength of his hand with the min-reraise and you were able to fold.

Moral: min-reraises are for the birds.
Old 09-28-2005, 11:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You got lucky that he didn't smooth call your flop raise and push the turn. He revealed the strength of his hand with the min-reraise and you were able to fold.

[/ QUOTE ]
this is why when replying to tdomeski's question, "how would you play it if you were him?" i said i would have just called the check raise on the flop. the min-raise reveals way to much about your hand i agree.
Old 09-29-2005, 05:08 AM

The problem with reraising pre-flop is he smooth-calls you with position (if he has any sort of brain) with AA and folds or calls with QQ. You are almost gaurenteed to drop your stack here if he has AA, since you are the aggressor and out of position (unless you just plan to check on an ace/king-less flop?) As it stood, I would have called his raise, and folded to his initial bet, figuring him for QQ or AA. That is assuming that this is 10-max and he is your typical TAG player that populates 2/4 NL 10-max.

As it stood, he played very poorly, reraising on the flop. He allowed you to make a laydown with a hand weaker than his and jepordized his whole stack against a hand stronger than his (i.e. a set). Smooth calling is a much smarter move on his part.