Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-27-2005, 07:21 PM

Default Re: Noises drive me crazy - Soft Sound Sensitivity Syndrome

OMG,

thanks for posting this. I actually went to a therapist for this a while back, which helped a little. But the therapist didn't name it SSSS. It totally makes sense. I've always thought I was completely weird and alone on this.

That's not to say I'm exactly like you freaks, either! Metal on teeth and brushing sounds don't bother me. But other people eating - I get angry, tense, and I usually leave the room.

Sometimes I just tell people "don't eat with your mouth open" or "don't talk with your mouth full". Needless to say, barking orders doesn't help relationships with adults. And when someone is eating with mouth closed, I have to just deal with it myself. My wife often takes her food to another room when she wants to eat. Slurping, gulping, even loud swallowing drives me apeshit.

But I have found that I'm not too bothered when I'm eating something equally "loud" (crunchy, squishy) as another person, as long as the other person keeps his damn mouth shut.

Besides eating, I get bothered by quiet noises in very quiet places. If I'm in a lecture, and someone is whispering nearby, or someone is clicking their g-d pen a lot, I am stuck and it's awful.

The solution I learned in therapy that works a bit is to do everything you can to relax your entire body for a 5 count. Every single muscle should go limp if possible. Don't worry about focusing on the professor or whatever you should be focusing on. After the 5 count, tell yourself (silently) to "focus" on whatever you should be focusing on.

As for sleeping, I can't take it when a dog is barking down the street, or someone is playing music next door. Quiet is worse than loud! Ear plugs do work for me as a last resort.

-ptmusic
Old 09-27-2005, 07:49 PM

im with this
Old 09-27-2005, 11:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
its all about habituation.....most of u seem to be on the sensitization end of it which can be brought over to the habituation end with enough exposure/conditioning

[/ QUOTE ]

Naw, that can't be right. I read new posts from you each and every day and I still haven't been desensitized. [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]
Old 09-27-2005, 11:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
It's that really high pitched ringing sound, and it gives me a headache, plus pisses me off that my roommates can't remember to turn off the TV.

[/ QUOTE ]

Of course they can remember to turn the TV off. I'm sure you make such a big fuss about this that it is done intentionally. Just like toilet seat lids and toothpaste caps, it is all a passive form of resistance.
Old 09-27-2005, 11:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Her dad sounds like a pain. Surely he can find better things to make some lame stand about. He should just friggin turn it off and shut up instead of being a dick.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is an unbelievable response!! It is his home, got it? His frigging home. If the little twerps are bothered by this they should go elsewhere. Sheesh!!!!!!!
Old 09-27-2005, 11:18 PM

man, reading about a "syndrome" and thinking you have it is a syndrome in itself nowadays. the only thing that really bothers me, like it almost makes me [censored] my pants, are ice chunks rubbing against other ice chunks.

rj
Old 09-28-2005, 01:38 AM

Who gives a damn if it's his house. You think owning your house gives you the right to be a jerk to everyone in it? You're wrong.

There's no "entitlement" in life to be a jerk, and there never will be. Get over it. You will ALWAYS be a jerk for being a jerk.

If you want to be a jerk, it's YOUR problem, not others'. Have the balls to stand up and say you want to be a jerk instead of acting all wounded when really you're just a prick.

Adults can and do compromise. It's one of the main things that makes them adults.

CHILDREN find stupid sh*t to argue about so they can relive their infantile childhood traumas with their own parents and say "You can't tell ME!" This is almost the only response many young people have to any type of conflict in which it is suggested that their behavior is not optimal.

It's one of the ugliest parts of young people's behavior and one of the most tedious ways they waste energy and friendship.

Learn to compromise, especially if it takes ABSOLUTELY NOTHING OUT OF YOU to do so.

Being unwilling to turn off the damn t.v. because of whose house it is, is anti-social on an infantile level. You're supposed to be past being a pointless dick by the time you reach adulthood, not fukin revel in it.
Old 09-28-2005, 01:39 AM

Really? I like that sound.
Old 09-28-2005, 09:04 AM

[ QUOTE ]

Anybody else?

[/ QUOTE ]

Lesbian moaning.

It gives me the uncontrollable desire to masturbate.
Old 09-28-2005, 09:07 AM

Does this problem affect your sex life?