Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-02-2005, 06:09 PM

Default Re: One God

"I'm not sure what you mean by saying philosophical infinity IS forever. I've never come across anything to suggest philosophical use of infinity is restricted enough to prove your case."

Hence your need for a metaphysics class. Another term that can be used for God is perfect potency or a being without distinction.
Old 10-02-2005, 07:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
"I'm not sure what you mean by saying philosophical infinity IS forever. I've never come across anything to suggest philosophical use of infinity is restricted enough to prove your case."

Hence your need for a metaphysics class. Another term that can be used for God is perfect potency or a being without distinction.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah but they never mixed up the concepts of 'infinite' and properties of an indivisible god like you want to.

They are different things.

chez
Old 10-02-2005, 09:50 PM

On the contrary, your lack of philosophical studies have prejudiced your concept of infinity to the merely mathematical connotation. There are more definitions than yours, and I stick with the philosphical definition.

Thus the properties of an infinite and indivisible God are the same, as any first year student of metaphysics can tell you.
Old 10-02-2005, 10:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
On the contrary, your lack of philosophical studies have prejudiced your concept of infinity to the merely mathematical connotation. There are more definitions than yours, and I stick with the philosphical definition.

[/ QUOTE ]

Its nothing to do with maths. Philosophically infinite means non-finite in some extent. For some reason you wish to restrict that to non-finite in all extents.

[ QUOTE ]
The finiteness of all the things of the physical cosmos is revealed by the traits or properties that it lacks. But the supreme being is unique. There is only one supreme being. God is not the member of any class that excludes other classes; and God is not an individual differing from other individuals, all of which are members of a given class. That is what we mean when we say God is not finite His existence is unlimited.

[/ QUOTE ]
This is what I think you have in mind. Its a specific use of infinite to mean unlimited in all extents rather than without limit in some extent.

However just because there is a common concept of god which is unlimited in all extents does not mean there are no other conceptions of god.

chez
Old 10-02-2005, 10:31 PM

"Philosophically infinite means non-finite in some extent. For some reason you wish to restrict that to non-finite in all extents."

No, that is backwards. Philosophically, non-finite is in all extents. Mathematically non finite or infinity is in some extent. 3.14....forever is forever only to some extent as it is the reduction of something as far as possible without destroying its essence (which is maintained by God).

"just because there is a common concept of god which is unlimited in all extents does not mean there are no other conceptions of god."

Whatever those other conceptions of "god" are, they are obviously inferior. It would be interesting to see an example of what you mean though.
Old 10-02-2005, 10:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
No, that is backwards. Philosophically, non-finite is in all extents.

[/ QUOTE ]

You really have some strange ideas. I'll just disagree. If anyone else cares just browse on infinite and metaphysics.

chez
Old 10-02-2005, 10:55 PM

Well, you asked for it.

Infinity
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia.
For the automobile brand, see Infiniti. For the radio company, see Infinity Broadcasting.
Infinite redirects here, For the album by Eminem, see Infinite (album).
Infinity is a term with very distinct, separate meanings which arise in theology, philosophy, mathematics and everyday life. Popular or colloquial usage of the term often does not accord with its more technical meanings. The word infinity comes from Latin : "In-finite", is not ended.

In theology, for example in the work of theologians such as Duns Scotus, the infinite nature of God invokes a sense of being without constraint, rather than a sense of being unlimited in quantity (leading to the question, an unlimited quantity of what?). In philosophy, infinity can be attributed to space and time, as for instance in Kant's first antinomy. In both theology and philosophy, infinity is explored in articles such as the Ultimate, the Absolute, God, and Zeno's paradoxes.

In mathematics, infinity is relevant to or the subject matter of articles such as limit (mathematics), aleph number, class (set theory), Dedekind infinite, large cardinal, Russell's paradox, hyperreal numbers, projective geometry, extended real number and absolute infinite.

In popular culture, we have Buzz Lightyear's rallying cry, "To infinity — and beyond!", which may also be viewed as the rallying cry of set theorists considering large cardinals.

strange indeed...
Old 10-02-2005, 11:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Well, you asked for it.

Infinity
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia.
For the automobile brand, see Infiniti. For the radio company, see Infinity Broadcasting.
Infinite redirects here, For the album by Eminem, see Infinite (album).
Infinity is a term with very distinct, separate meanings which arise in theology, philosophy, mathematics and everyday life. Popular or colloquial usage of the term often does not accord with its more technical meanings. The word infinity comes from Latin : "In-finite", is not ended.

In theology, for example in the work of theologians such as Duns Scotus, the infinite nature of God invokes a sense of being without constraint, rather than a sense of being unlimited in quantity (leading to the question, an unlimited quantity of what?). In philosophy, infinity can be attributed to space and time, as for instance in Kant's first antinomy. In both theology and philosophy, infinity is explored in articles such as the Ultimate, the Absolute, God, and Zeno's paradoxes.

In mathematics, infinity is relevant to or the subject matter of articles such as limit (mathematics), aleph number, class (set theory), Dedekind infinite, large cardinal, Russell's paradox, hyperreal numbers, projective geometry, extended real number and absolute infinite.

In popular culture, we have Buzz Lightyear's rallying cry, "To infinity — and beyond!", which may also be viewed as the rallying cry of set theorists considering large cardinals.

strange indeed...

[/ QUOTE ]

Nothing there to support the idea that in philosophy infinite means in all extents. I'm done with this, as I say anyone who wants to can find an almost infinte number of metaphysical articles using infinite to mean in some extent.

chez
Old 10-02-2005, 11:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
"Philosophically infinite means non-finite in some extent. For some reason you wish to restrict that to non-finite in all extents."

No, that is backwards. Philosophically, non-finite is in all extents. Mathematically non finite or infinity is in some extent. 3.14....forever is forever only to some extent as it is the reduction of something as far as possible without destroying its essence (which is maintained by God).

"just because there is a common concept of god which is unlimited in all extents does not mean there are no other conceptions of god."

Whatever those other conceptions of "god" are, they are obviously inferior. It would be interesting to see an example of what you mean though.

[/ QUOTE ]

How long did it take for your lobotomy to heal?
Old 10-02-2005, 11:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]

How long did it take for your lobotomy to heal?

[/ QUOTE ]

I thought that was perhaps overly harsh until I read his response to the "Lego Prime" thread.