Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-27-2005, 11:06 AM

Default Re: Valuebetting queen high

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
He has position.

[/ QUOTE ]

Right you are. Like you say, still just check it through. How much would it suck to get raised?

[/ QUOTE ]

In this hand, it looks like it sucked about 40$. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Krishan
Old 09-27-2005, 11:25 AM

Is this really a 'value' bet? Are you getting called by a worse hand more than half the time? I don't think so. Add in the times you decide to pay off a raise, and this stinks. Especially 3-handed? Man I hate this bet.
Old 09-27-2005, 11:29 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Is this really a 'value' bet? Are you getting called by a worse hand more than half the time? I don't think so. Add in the times you decide to pay off a raise, and this stinks. Especially 3-handed? Man I hate this bet.

[/ QUOTE ]

My feelings exactly.
Old 09-27-2005, 12:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You don't need half the time, you just need to get called more times than you're losing. Keep in mind they will both fold around 80% of the time. So for 80%, EV will be neutral on this bet.
Old 09-27-2005, 12:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You don't need half the time, you just need to get called more times than you're losing.

[/ QUOTE ]

If you can fold to the check-raise, you have to be ahead 1/y times you are called where y is 2 or 3 depending on how many callers you get. y is almost always going to be 2 in this case.

However, sometimes you get checkraise bluffed or the threat of a c/r bluff leads you to call a checkraise from a better hand. Therefore, you need to be ahead more than 50% of the time when called. I don't understand where you got that 80% figure from.
Old 09-27-2005, 12:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You don't need half the time, you just need to get called more times than you're losing. Keep in mind they will both fold around 80% of the time. So for 80%, EV will be neutral on this bet.

[/ QUOTE ]

You are missing something fundamental. We know 80% of the time it's EV neutral. The remaining 20% of the time, you need to be ahead 55% when CALLED.

Krishan
Old 09-27-2005, 12:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Therefore, you need to be ahead more than 50% of the time when called.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is true. We're basically saying the same thing.

I was just looking at every possible player action. Most (80% as a rough guess) of the times they will fold when we are winning.
Old 09-27-2005, 12:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I was just looking at every possible player action. Most (80% as a rough guess) of the times they will fold when we are winning.

[/ QUOTE ]

But what's the point? It's not important that Villians fold a lot. What's important is that when you are called, you need to be ahead a lot more than you are going to be ahead on this board.

Krishan
Old 09-27-2005, 12:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

But what's the point? It's not important that Villians fold a lot. What's important is that when you are called, you need to be ahead a lot more than you are going to be ahead on this board.

Krishan

[/ QUOTE ]

Agreed. I definitely wasn't advocating a value bet.

Can you explain the 55% as opposed to anything over 50%?
Old 09-27-2005, 12:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Can you explain the 55% as opposed to anything over 50%?

[/ QUOTE ]

You get bluff checkraised sometimes.