Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-25-2005, 12:21 AM

Default Re: ($27) 88 Blinds Gap Concept?

I love how many "fold" responses there are. Fact is, maybe if i had 3800 instead of 2100, I could fold or not push all in...etc.. but as 4th stack, you should be looking to get in with the best of it. As far as ICM and figuring out how good you are against his range, it isnt helpful BC he has qq-aa about never here, and in fact the 4bb raise makes me think you could throw 22-77 in there as well. I mean lets be realistic, most monster hands a bigstack is going to be looking for action with...4BB raise is about the weakest raise possible here. If youre beat, so be it.

pooooooo(s)h
Old 09-25-2005, 12:51 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I usually push this, but looking at it, I think its a mistake. If SB has been relatively tight, then against

99+,A9s+,KJs+,QJs,ATo+,KJo+,QJo

You're a 45% dog.

I assume you've been pushing a fair bit already, so any hand he's raising you with, he's likely to call your push with.

[/ QUOTE ]

This range seems chosen intentionally.
Old 09-25-2005, 01:39 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I usually push this, but looking at it, I think its a mistake. If SB has been relatively tight, then against

99+,A9s+,KJs+,QJs,ATo+,KJo+,QJo

You're a 45% dog.

I assume you've been pushing a fair bit already, so any hand he's raising you with, he's likely to call your push with.

[/ QUOTE ]

This range seems chosen intentionally.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes... it was chosen intentionally to represent the hands I thought a tight player would raise with. [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

Against Durron's range posted above (66+,A7s+,KTs+,QJs,A9o+,KJo+,QJo), hero is 49.5%.

I punched the numbers into eastbay's sitngo-analyzer. My assumption is that any hand SB is raising with, he is calling a push with, so I set it as if SB was open-pushing. It says that hero can only call with JJ+,AK.

I don't think pushing is terrible, but I think folding is a better choice. Hero isn't completely desperate yet, so he can wait for a better open-push opportunity. This will also give his opponents a chance to bust each other out. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 09-25-2005, 01:50 AM

[ QUOTE ]
My assumption is that any hand SB is raising with, he is calling a push with

[/ QUOTE ]

This isn't a good assumption. Although the majority of the time the raiser will call, 10-20% of the time he will fold, once you factor in 10-20% of the time you are certain to win 1000 chips this is a push here. Thus, you can't use SNGPT alone to analyse this hand. Also I would put him on about 22-QQ,Ax+,K7o+,QTo+,JTs, when you include the lower pairs and discount KK and AA, your equity in this hand goes up a fair bit.

You are coming 4th, if you want to win it is critical that you get yourself into a position to be able to bully the crap out of the other (shorter) stacks by the time the blinds hit 400/200. An extra 1000 chips or a double up would certainly put you in that position even if you face the risk of coming 4th.
Old 09-25-2005, 02:03 AM

The button makes this move with a lot of hands, push looks good, should get a fair amount of folds and usually will not be worse than the right end of a coin flip when there is a call.

$.02
Old 09-25-2005, 06:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
My assumption is that any hand SB is raising with, he is calling a push with

[/ QUOTE ]

This isn't a good assumption. Although the majority of the time the raiser will call, 10-20% of the time he will fold, once you factor in 10-20% of the time you are certain to win 1000 chips this is a push here. Thus, you can't use SNGPT alone to analyse this hand. Also I would put him on about 22-QQ,Ax+,K7o+,QTo+,JTs, when you include the lower pairs and discount KK and AA, your equity in this hand goes up a fair bit.

You are coming 4th, if you want to win it is critical that you get yourself into a position to be able to bully the crap out of the other (shorter) stacks by the time the blinds hit 400/200. An extra 1000 chips or a double up would certainly put you in that position even if you face the risk of coming 4th.

[/ QUOTE ]

Alright, 88 seems to be losing me a lot of money in these blind vs. blind battles these days. This time SB had 99 and I lose. I'm glad the board agrees that my push was good.
Old 09-25-2005, 07:11 PM

I fold this if the non-standard raise means he's calling a push. When they do that, it's the same hands that they open push early with 15 or 100 BB or whatever, and I don't call 88 against that range, either.

If the raise was to 600 I'd push without hesitation.
Old 09-25-2005, 11:27 PM

You really think he is only raising pp higher then 8-8? I bet he is raising any pp.