Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-22-2005, 06:07 PM

Default Re: Teaching NL to someone who has never played poker before

Make sure you teach them how to read the board. That's always a problem brand new players have. Once I got past that with my Girlfriend, the rest was a lot easier.
Old 09-22-2005, 07:14 PM

impossible. tell him to learn the ABC of poker himself by reading books and playing with friends in school and playing play money online. he has to put the effort first. then try to teach. its impossible to teach someone to b winning player without him knowing the abc part. peace. o... and i speak from TONS of experience.
Old 09-22-2005, 07:21 PM

the best way to teach someone NL HE is to teach them Pot Limit Omaha Hi first.
Old 09-22-2005, 10:23 PM

I'm trying to quickly teach both of my roommates poker before they go broke and can't afford their respective 1/3s of the rent. It isn't working out very well. Here's a recap.

1st session: 100 max live. Before I told them to play tight and try to only play hands that can flop sets, TPTK. Easy stuff. It works for a little while until I sit down and play every hand and win. They start to play every hand and lose.

2nd session: 100 max. they both lose 200. they dont bet enough to protect their worthy hands and make hopeless idiotic bluffs. i tell them to not bluff in 100 max unless they can see the other guys cards.

3rd session: buddy 1 goes broke again. i have him sweat me in bigger game. I play ABC and try to demonstrate to him the basics. I show him how to fold. He doesnt seem impressed. Over dinner, I explain the Fundamental Theorum of Poker to buddy 2. Later that night, Buddy 2 wins. on the ride home, he says that the majority of the win came off the old guy in the 6 seat who didnt protect his cards when peeking at them. He says he applied the FTOP perfectly. I'm strangely proud of him.