Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-22-2005, 12:28 PM

Default Re: River value bet OOP against aggressive villain?

If this were a ring game I would bet the river becuase there are so many hands that will call here (namely A-high). I haven't played too much 4 handed LHE, but I would imagine that the situation changes very little here. The only time I would induce a bluff in these spots is when the river card is very likely to have hit the villian and he could potentially raise as a bluff.

So if the board were 8 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 6 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 4 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 3 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] with the same action, I would check and call the Q [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] on the riv.

Brad
Old 09-22-2005, 01:55 PM

*grunch* I dont raise 77 utg.

I'm afraid we're behind to a queen here. IMO you're giving villain the impression that you've got that beat though, and thats why he's playing passively.

I don't think you can get him to fold on a river bet, and you don't want to be called (he'll prolly have you beat) - I check the river and call his bet.
Old 09-22-2005, 02:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Hero bets the river and gets called by AJo. I'm still amazed at how much ace-high pays off on the end.

In the past, I used to check-call this trying to induce a bluff, especially here with the paired river and turn flush. It got checked through too often. So now I'm starting to bet them myself.

[/ QUOTE ]

did he have the A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]? i really can't believe he called that turn. i too struggle with value-betting and continue to let it get checked through too often [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]
Old 09-22-2005, 02:05 PM

Sorry just noticed this was 4 handed - I'm used to 10 handed - disregard my gripe about raising 77 utg [img]/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img]
Old 09-22-2005, 02:41 PM

(newbie grunching 1, so I'll comment on the whole)

pre-flop: if button is more likely to 3-bet with big cards, or 1 big card, should we not cap it? Maybe, this hand is ahead 4-handed most of the time. Worried about BB's CC though...

flop: I like the c/r. WA/WB? If we get 3-bet, then I guess I'd check/fold the turn.

River: Here's my weak/tight again. I'd check call. I think we'd fold a lesser hand at this point. If he has the flush he'll be raising. The higher pair will be calling. A check would probably induce a bet from the aggressive guy with his overcards.
Old 09-22-2005, 02:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Hero bets the river and gets called by AJo. I'm still amazed at how much ace-high pays off on the end.

In the past, I used to check-call this trying to induce a bluff, especially here with the paired river and turn flush. It got checked through too often. So now I'm starting to bet them myself.

[/ QUOTE ]

did he have the A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]? i really can't believe he called that turn. i too struggle with value-betting and continue to let it get checked through too often [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]
Old 09-22-2005, 03:06 PM

Default About the flop check-raise

I expect villain will bet the flop 100% of the time. My concern at this point is what donk in BB has. If he check-raises, I can let this go. If he calls, I call. If he folds, then I check-raise.

I like the check-raise/bet line much more than WA/WB here because I don't want villain to have the choice to take the free card on the turn. With a queen overcard, I'm most likely ahead (this would be different if it were an ace -- I'm not sure what I would do against an ace), and I want to get money into the pot when I'm pretty sure I've got the best of it.

I also like the check-raise/bet line because it will cause some villains to fold their overcards on the turn. This is good for me because he very likely has 6 outs and is getting about 7.5:1 to call it (he needs just over 6:1 to call it).
Old 09-22-2005, 03:49 PM

Default Re: About the flop check-raise

If you get 3-betted on the flop, do you fold? It seems to me like we're folding to an aggressively played flush draw or overplayed AK too often, but calling down seems like -EV.

If BB calls the flop I assume you're checking the turn and watch the action. If an A or a K fall you'll check/fold. If it's a blank and the action goes bet/call again you call. If it's a blank and it goes check/bet, do you check/raise?
Old 09-22-2005, 05:04 PM

Default Re: About the flop check-raise

[ QUOTE ]
If you get 3-betted on the flop, do you fold? It seems to me like we're folding to an aggressively played flush draw or overplayed AK too often, but calling down seems like -EV.

[/ QUOTE ]

It depends on how I feel about villain. In this case, I would call and donk-fold the turn, or I might just check-fold if an ace comes. But there would be times to fold right away.

[ QUOTE ]
If BB calls the flop I assume you're checking the turn and watch the action. If an A or a K fall you'll check/fold. If it's a blank and the action goes bet/call again you call. If it's a blank and it goes check/bet, do you check/raise?

[/ QUOTE ]

The turn gets much more complicated if BB calls. But I have good position relative to the aggressor, so I'm not trapped in a guessing position. This means I'm definitely checking to see what unfolds.

If BB folds on the turn, I probably just call and bet the river (WA/WB). I don't want to check-raise the turn because he's usually calling (the flop check-raise had some fold equity built into it, which adds to its value -- now it's just pure showdown value).