Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-21-2005, 10:40 AM

Default Re: More AK

(posting cold)

I think I would liek to cap preflop and then go crazy on the flop instead of the turn. That way you can find out where you are with small bets instead of big bets.

As far as the way you played it goes I dont think I would have 3 bet the turn. I think I call it down from the raise.
Old 09-21-2005, 11:02 AM

Not posting blind i've seen the debates(Which frankly confuse the hell out of me right now and if i understand them i mis apply them in the future anyhow).

Anyhow the way i play it
Raise the flop, call a 3bet, call down.

If he does 3bet it, we calling down to spike a A/K and even then we're behind AA/JJ but since after the turn the pot would be huge folding the river would be silly.(Forgeting we may be ahead!)

The way you played it
C/R the turn would have been cheaper (we can call when he 3bets, Rather than calling a (2bet)raise or having it potentially capped when WE 3bet it).

And i reckon we're screwed by AA/JJ/AJ but as folding it is "WEAK TIGHT" and he could be psycho... call down.

Side note:
To be honest, i think 2+2'ers call down far to often when we should be using our reads("Average aggression" to save 1 - 2BB's by folding). However in this case you have outs to a K which will take you ahead of AJ but still behind JJ/AA.
Old 09-21-2005, 11:06 AM

I think the reason these guys are playing it passive on the flop is because of the range of hands that CO might be holding. OP says he's "too loose", let's say he 3-bets preflop with AA-TT,AJ+.

Now, on the flop we're way ahead of TT,QQ,KK who are probably looking to fold if we tell them we have the A. We're way behind AA,JJ,AJ and so we want to avoid losing money. So playing it passive encourages the former to take a stab at the pot, while limiting losses to the latter.

Let me know if I'm thinking about it wrong. This is my first post!
Old 09-21-2005, 11:21 AM

go ahead and lead this flop, or c/r it.
Old 09-21-2005, 11:22 AM

i sincerely doubt your AK play is what's causing your downturn, FWIW. although i'm not a huge fan about how you played either AK hand you posted...
Old 09-21-2005, 11:29 AM

*grunch* This looks like a play I would normally do. Doesn't necessarily make it right : P

Is it a good idea to slowplay here as you did on the flop? I mean are we far enough ahead to where we can afford to do so? I'm asking because I have a tendency to do this as well.

I put villain on either AA(most unlikely), a higher carded flush draw, or two pair (most likely AJ).

Perhaps its better to 3 bet the flop to see where we stand? I would still have a hard time letting this go if he caps. What do you guys think about letting it go if we 3 bet the flop, he caps, then villain raises when we bet on the turn?
Old 09-21-2005, 11:31 AM

IS THIS WA/WB?
Old 09-21-2005, 11:49 AM

[ QUOTE ]
What about check/call flop, bet/call turn, bet/fold river?

[/ QUOTE ]

No way I'm bet/folding this river. Ugh. OP said that Villan was average aggressiveness, so IMO his preflop 3-betting range includes AA-99/AKo-AJo/AKs-ATs (maybe A9s in LP?). At the river you're behind AA/JJ/AJo/AJs...I don't want to do the counting, but folding on the river is, I think, ridiuclous.

But maybe I just hate bet/fold on the river too much.
Old 09-21-2005, 11:54 AM

[ QUOTE ]
i sincerely doubt your AK play is what's causing your downturn, FWIW. although i'm not a huge fan about how you played either AK hand you posted...

[/ QUOTE ]

What was wrong w/ the other one?

Also, I think check-raising this flop sucks.
Old 09-21-2005, 12:34 PM

This hand, and the responses are seriously confusing me. Which isn't hard, at this point.

I don't understand not betting the flop. The line you took it seems you're slowplaying because you think you're ahead, because of the turn bet/raise.

This is not a monster suitable to slowplaying, though, IMO.

I dunno, I guess if he's got QQ or KK or something he could go nuts on the turn like that... he knows the 5 hasn't changed anything.

KO