Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-20-2005, 07:59 AM

Default Re: should I of folded this house 20+2

i would deffo prepared to go broke with that hand.
i would play it different than you but if would deffo put all my chips on the line with this hand.
the situation is pretty clear cutt,much more so than you think.
just because he checked and now makes a 480 bet dosent mean he has a house that has you beat.
think about it,if he has a house, why is he trying to scare people away with an over bet?im not saying its not possible for him to have a better house, what im saying is you should be prepared to go all the way with this hand, if you loose you loose but CHANCES are you have the best hand .
if your only willing to put your money in with the nuts, your loosing huge value, and you simply wont get the nuts often enough to make anything out of it.
whats more if you play that tight, people will catch on and will not pay you off nearly enough when you do have the nuts.
i hope that makes sense.
Old 09-20-2005, 10:42 AM

here is why you have to bet the flop:

if someone has Ax, they will probably go to the felt, or at least put a bunch of chips in, but you need to build the pot.

the bigger issue is that no card is going to come to make a worse hand want to go broke. for example, if the board were J76, then an A on the turn might make AT want to go broke. that's an argument for slowplaying. pretty much the only hand that's going to improve to where they want to put in a lot of chips is a hand like T8, which goes from nothing at all to maybe making a hand that can beat you.
Old 09-20-2005, 10:52 AM

I think that this is a clear case of where you want to play super-aggressively. I like overbetting the pot before slowplaying here.
A lot of Ax's, flush draws, and str8 draws are going to come along.
Old 09-20-2005, 12:32 PM

Congratulations. I've been reading this message board for months and your play was the first that finally inspired me to post my thoughts.

There has been considerable debate here as to whether or not slowplaying on this board was a good idea. What kills me is that you got just about the best turn and river cards you could hope for and, not only did you not raise on the river, you mentioned the word FOLD. LOL.

The flush didn't come and a weak str8 draw came AFTER the board already paired. If you are seriously scared of being behind in this hand, there are a lot of posters that would probably pay for your screen name to add you to their buddy list.

Once in a while someone is going to have A7, A6, A9, 99, 77 but that's why nobody is in the money all the time. A decent player with two pair or trips is going to wake up before the river on this board because they too should be afraid of the flush/str8 draws.

My question is this, should you push the river or just reraise to about 1000? I would be afraid of chasing both of them out with reraising too big because the caller probably thinks the bettor is trying to buy the pot and I think he is right.

Oh, and before you ask, Erietree, yes I would call an over-the-top all in as fast as possible.

T
Old 09-20-2005, 12:51 PM

So what happened?
Old 09-20-2005, 12:56 PM

Yeah, if you're even thinking about folding this, I almost have to side with the people saying that you have a huge leak in your play. The number of times you triple up against two people with A10 and AJ here far outweigh the number of times you go up against 77, or A7. On the river, the words fold and call are not part of my volcabulary, you have a deceptively huge hand and are probably up against two people with a set of aces they will not be able to get away from. I go all in on both of them here and either go broke once and awhile, or win a huge pot most of the time.
Old 09-20-2005, 01:00 PM

If you want to see why slowplaying is usually not correct, turn on your pokertracker replayer with all the cards showing and watch a few 22s. You will repeatedly see players who try to slowplay vulnerable hands and go broke because of it. I think that slowplaying is probably the most over-used concept in poker. There have to be pretty specific circumstances to make it correct. One of them is that you're not likely to get action if you bet. This is a PP 22, there is an ace on the board and a few draws - you will get action if you bet.

So, in conclusion. You should be doing your best to get all your chips in from the flop on. Giving a free card is a mistake here.
Old 09-20-2005, 01:02 PM

Yeah, also push the hell out of that river. You slowplayed to disguise your hand. So try and salvage something here. You may go broke but other times you'll win a monstrous pot and cripple two people.
Old 09-20-2005, 01:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Alright mate what do you think this 480 bet means. What do u put him on and are u prepared to go broke at level one with this hand. Dont make it sound like the situation is clear cut its simply not.

And I dont see what is wrong with checking the flop or the turn for that matter.

[/ QUOTE ]

If you don't see why it is wrong to check on the flop and the turn with what most likely is the best hand then I am sure you are a losing player.

This is really really elementary poker stuff, you know.

[/ QUOTE ]
I agree with this guy.
Old 09-20-2005, 01:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
If you don't see why it is wrong to check on the flop and the turn with what most likely is the best hand then I am sure you are a losing player.

[/ QUOTE ]
Alriht [censored]. Im not a losing player far from it. Im trying to win a big pot here early but I can easily get away from this if the board become to scary. I have very little invested and the pot is small.

[/ QUOTE ]
How is this board scary? This is one of the least scary boards I can think of. Maybe if the flush draw hit without you having a full house. Or definately if a 7 hit on the river you would probably fold. But the way it played out, you could not have hoped for a better board.