Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-18-2005, 03:44 PM

Default Re: MUST I call all-in river bet with A-high flush?

[ QUOTE ]
Villain has been calling all the way. This could be a trap, but it could very easily be a lower flush. I can't fold the nut flush on this board.

[/ QUOTE ]

If this were the UTG, I could see folding this, but it looks too much like he was on a draw. The odds of a lower flush are too great.
Old 09-18-2005, 05:52 PM

So when you went into this hand you were really playing for the nut flush, now you have it and you don't want to play it? If you can get pushed off of the hand you were hoping for on the river, why even play those hands?
Old 09-18-2005, 07:31 PM

There are enough hands here that he would push that you have beat. I don't know if I would say it is a "must", but I would call 10/10, especially, as someone mentioned, since the tourney is a turbo.
Old 09-19-2005, 12:00 AM

Default Result

[ QUOTE ]
So when you went into this hand you were really playing for the nut flush, now you have it and you don't want to play it? If you can get pushed off of the hand you were hoping for on the river, why even play those hands?

[/ QUOTE ]

Sadly, I didn't get pushed off the hand. I called, and he showed quad 2s.

My point in posting this hand was that I wondered whether -- even with the nut flush -- I should call an all-in this early in a tourney (even a turbo) with the board paired and against an opponent who probably thinks I made a very good flush YET STILL GOES ALL-IN. The consensus is call, and I agree with it, but still I can't help thinking that I didn't read my opponent and the board very well.

Also, I don't think it's a question of "why play this hand if you're just going to be pushed off it" but rather whether the decision itself, given all the information at hand, is a good one (I suspect some very good players have layed down nut flushes when the information pointed to a full house, for instance, and an incorrect call would cost a huge amount). There are many strong hands that I would like to have because I am generally likely to win, yet even with such strong hands I can legitimately believe they are beaten in given instances. (For what it's worth, however, the OP was not one of them: I thought Villain had a slightly lower flush or possibly trips).