Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-14-2005, 10:25 AM

Default Re: Paradise Masters Bubble Hand vs Gigabet

[ QUOTE ]
I'd hate being in this spot. Improving on the turn to top pair when it's an ace is both a blessing and a curse, as he could easily have aces up. If it was me, I raise the turn and see what he does. This way you might not have to commit yourself on the river if you get reraised.

[/ QUOTE ]

I would seriously consider reraising all-in on the turn against a big-stack LAG if I'm playing at my normal buy-in level. Not only because I probably have him beat, but also to keep him off my back on future hands. And I don't want to outthink myself against a better player on the river. It sounds like Hero's priority is to make the final table, not to make the money, and this is a great spot to get some more chips.

I would love to get some feedback on this line.

As for the way it played out, that's a helluva decision, but I'd call.
Old 09-14-2005, 11:01 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I think you just have to call here. When an aggressive player is running over the table, you can't sit there and wait for a monster before you're willing to take him on; that's exactly the attitude he's counting on, as he rakes in pot after pot.

[/ QUOTE ]

I would agree with your post 100%, if not for the fact that there is just a few spots to the money.

If the post were reworded to indicate that the Hero was already in the money, then yeah, maybe this is good a time as any to take a shot.

But to risk going from what 15th(?) and a decent shot at a nice score, to completely out of the money, without a high degree of certainty, nope I can't buy it.

It is possible that the Villain is thinking one level higher. That is, Villain thinks that Hero thinks that Villain could be on a bluff, but in actuality Villain is betting for value with something like AJ, A9 or A3, or even a set. And, if Hero folds, then Villain still takes down a decent pot and if Hero calls, then Villain is likely to become the chip leader.

Just a thought ....

[/ QUOTE ]

You just summarized the exact mindset that makes Gigabet's bluffs so profitable in this spot. Nobody wants to take the chance of busting out on the bubble, so they let him run over the table.

Top pair against a super-aggro player is a big hand. If this turns out to be the one time he has a monster, that's poker.

The people who are aggressive on the bubble win tournaments, and the people who think like the poster I just quoted end up with a few bucks' profit for 14th place. If you want to make correct decisions and win tournaments, you make this call.
Old 09-14-2005, 11:07 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Hi, I'm just starting to study MTT/NL stuff. Is it so impossible to raise his turn bet?

[/ QUOTE ]
A raise would mean pushing. A smart LAG like Gigabet isn't going to call unless he has you beat, so you fail to win any more chips. By just calling you give him the chance to spew more chips on the river (which he will do a high % of the time with nothing), and the chances of a free card hurting you on that board are pretty low. So in the long run, calling him down will make you more money.

I'm curious what others would do if Gigabet checked the river.
Old 09-14-2005, 11:10 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Hi, I'm just starting to study MTT/NL stuff. Is it so impossible to raise his turn bet?

[/ QUOTE ]
A raise would mean pushing. A smart LAG like Gigabet isn't going to call unless he has you beat, so you fail to win any more chips. By just calling you give him the chance to spew more chips on the river (which he will do a high % of the time with nothing), and the chances of a free card hurting you on that board are pretty low. So in the long run, calling him down will make you more money.

I'm curious what others would do if Gigabet checked the river.

[/ QUOTE ]

If he checks the river I'm checking behind. He will not call with a weak ace here enough.
Old 09-14-2005, 11:12 AM

no way giga puts him on an ace and then doesn't make the move because of that

he posted a hand awhile back where he pushed the river with AAQxx board, and he said 'i was fairly certain he had AK'

gig had 3rd pair i beleive and it went a helluva lot like this one did...villain raised, gig called in blinds, called flop bet, bet into him on turn and then pushed river

lol, now that i think about it, it was exactly like this hand, this must be his MTT MO
Old 09-14-2005, 11:14 AM

I fail to see why everyone believe Gigabet will bluff this river so often. How can he not know DE has an Ace after the call on the turn? DE's range has got to be AT-AK in that spot. A smart LAG is not going piss away his stack here and he knows who Nordberg is. Against Nordberg I think Gigabet will be ahead almost all of the time on the river here. He might try to bully a weak tighty but since almost no one is calling that turn bet without a strong ace I think it would be very optomistic to believe Gig is bluffing here more than 10% of the time.
Old 09-14-2005, 11:17 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

This would make him very stupid, which he is not.
Old 09-14-2005, 11:22 AM

if you are going to flat call the turn, you have to call the inevitable river push. It's almost like he's pushing the turn.

I actually like this line a lot vs. him. Raising the turn gets you nothing. You can't make a small raise on the turn and lay down to a push with your stack size. If you had a larger stack (like closer to his 50k), then I like a small raise on the turn.

His mindset has to be...he didn't raise me on the turn, so in the event he does have an Ace, his kicker must not be that big, so I'll let him make the big bubble laydown.
Old 09-14-2005, 11:26 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

This would make him very stupid, which he is not.

[/ QUOTE ]

lol

how long u been playin poker son?

good players don't call all their chips with one pair and a ten kicker unless they have a strong reason to beleive the other person has their whole arm in the cookie jar
Old 09-14-2005, 11:29 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I fail to see why everyone believe Gigabet will bluff this river so often. How can he not know DE has an Ace after the call on the turn? DE's range has got to be AT-AK in that spot. A smart LAG is not going piss away his stack here and he knows who Nordberg is. Against Nordberg I think Gigabet will be ahead almost all of the time on the river here. He might try to bully a weak tighty but since almost no one is calling that turn bet without a strong ace I think it would be very optomistic to believe Gig is bluffing here more than 10% of the time.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why should Gigabet be afraid of an ace? Not only Nordberg, but most of the posters in this thread, are laying down an ace here. His entire playstyle is premised on the understanding that most players are too tight on the bubble to call a push with just an ace.